What happened to Victoria Rowell on Y&R?

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

If Neil were paired with a white actress, you'd have problems with that, I'm sure. I'm just glad they found the right ACTRESS to pair with Neil, because JPM and DM were all kinds of wrong.

I HARDLY think Redaric and Lamon are eunuchs. Sorry, but that's a ridiculous comment.

And are you saying that Alex and Adriana are getting more airtime than the black characters? Because you're wrong there, too.

• Members

Tokens are people they hire for diversities sake and then restricted to the background the entire time with no story and few appearances. I wouldn't call the recent hires tokens since they are pretty much all frontburner with story and on several times a week. In fact I've seen complaints elsewhere that they are on too much. And the black character additions are getting more airtime than the hispanic ones

• Members

A lot can happen in a month, apparently.

Leslie and Tyler have been featured PROMINENTLY, and Mason's appearances have increased. DeeeDee, I don't know what your point is. Are you saying SON posters are wrong now or wrong then? Or both?

These characters are NOT tokens in any way, shape, or form. MAB's "It's Wednesday, so it's time for black characters on Y&R" made me cringe. This is so much better. I don't know what to say when you won't acknowledge that and just argue with everything we say.

• Members

They are on several times a week. That's a fact. And Leslie and Tyler's story has picked up. Alot of times I wish Neil could get some more days off because he bores the hell out of me and brings Leslie down.

If we're going to make an arguement about minorities being tokens I would look at Alex who's floating around with no purpose right now. Adriana at least has a job now and a friend/mentor in Kay.

I wish VR would just move on from constntly bitching about this show on twitter and show them up by creating her own show. Although she's chasing off potential advertisers with her comments

• Members

Pretty much, which is why I take zero issue with Vicky bringing this up at every opportunity - even if some choose to make her out to be "crazy" in a pathetic attempt to undermine her valid points.

As long as American soaps continue to treat Black characters and actors dreadfully, I'll fully support Vicky's outspokenness. Lord knows barely anyone else has the balls to do so...

• Members

Using extortion to get back onto YR is not the same bringing to light the mistreatment of black actors/characters on Daytime. VR is not speaking for the people, she's throwing hissies because she has not been asked back to YR, a show she said treated her horribly. It's time to move on!

I don't need anyone like this "speaking on behalf of black people".

• Members

Pretty much what?

That the same has been said about other minority actors? Because that is not true. No minority has been hit on the boards like Victoria Rowell has, and those hits haven't come because of her color.

And if you're agreeing that "no one wants to see change which doesn't benefit them," that's absurd, too -- because it doesn't apply to this case. Sorry, but you don't get to label everyone else. For many years, almost EVERYONE was unhappy with the minority presence and impact on Y&R. That seems to be changing now, because there IS a presence, and those actors are making an impact.

Sure, VR has the right to bring this up at every opportunity, but for you to blame others for calling her crazy? She's doing that herself, and this is no "pathetic attempt to undermine her valid points." We're not ganging up on Rowell; she's made herself and not the issues the important thing. I would think you'd be EMBARRASSED to have someone represent your thoughts and ideas in that way.

If I were a gun advocate, I sure as hell wouldn't want some NRA nutjob like Ted Nugent representing me. Rowell is dismissed as whack, and she hurts the cause.

Your last line makes the claim that American soaps continue to treat black actors and characters dreadfully. You need to be more specific about which soaps, and you need to admit that Y&R has made changes. If you can't, you lose your authority in making claims, because people know changes have been made at Y&R. It sounds as if there's no pleasing you, and I don't know what to do with that.

• Members

I used to think that VR was a diva, now I think that she needs a good therapist and some steady people who around her who don't indulge her crazy and help her deal with the consequences of her actions.She quit her job in a snit and burnt her bridges with Sony and CBS. Such is life. VR needs to focus on herself and accept that there is no going back to Y&R for her right now. If she stops lashing out and gives it some time, I am sure a few years down the line, she might be welcome back, but all she does is make it worse with every outburst. She has got to find steady work elsewhere. Maybe she can develop a reality show or something with BET or OWN. I am surprised that she has never been in any Tyler Perry projects. He employs talented under appreciated folks. Once VR is a good place in her career again, she can try to come up with constructive ways to address the lack of diversity in Daytime tv.

Archived