What happened to Victoria Rowell on Y&R?

• Members

I agree but I think that it's something deeper as to why she is so determined to go back. I think that its b/c Mr. Bell did take her under his wings and somewhat mentored her. I think she can't let it go & move on out of respect for him. But she needs to move on and do something with Secrets b/c again, I think she has a hit on her hands.

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Drucilla Winters, Dorian Lord, Carla Gray... these are roles of a lifetime, especially when written at their best. Each of these characters rode on the personal attributes and strengths that their portrayers brought to the table, attributes and strengths that their producers and writers worked into the roles... the iconic roles that will be mentioned in the first paragraphs of three fine actresses' obits someday (hopefully many, many years from now). That's why it's no wonder to me why VR, RS, and EH have been so hurt and outspoken about the foul treatment they and their characters have been handed in the past. Maybe it's my actor's brain that affords them this right even though I realize how "bad" it sometimes looks to others. Just put yourself in their shoes for a moment. Emotions aren't rational, they just ARE. I commend people who are willing to speak their truth regardless of the consequences. There comes a time where you just grow sick of playing the game to appease others and save your own butt, particularly when the game has no qualms about playing you.

• Members

I'm sorry but this woman is certifiable. And she wonders why she never gets asked back. And the pathetic thing is, in less than a week she'll be BEGGING to return and retweeting the [!@#$%^&*] out of all her fans pleas for Dru's returns. She's gonna wind up collecting unemployment. I know for damn sure I'd never hire someone who pops off at the mouth like that.

NB's tweets are also very inappropriate.

• Members

Possibly because a segment of the American population associates speech with race. I had an English teacher in high school tell me that when she and her husband went to England that she was shocked to hear the little black children speaking cockney.

I totally disagree with you. The people who make my ears hurt are from Liverpool and Manchester. Listen to Ringo Starr say pronounce run as "roon" or Mel B. and Marsha Thomason say "cooming" instead of coming.

• Members

I feel the need to address previous arguments about CK and other actors who "talk white" in light of Nelson's inflammatory comments. Speaking standard American speech does not make a black person "white", it is merely the way they speak, whether that's a result of their surroundings or theatrical education. My issue with this... issue, is that TV likes to cast black actors who speak this way because they deem them more palatable for the audience at large. If you put me in a room full of black American men, based on looks and speech, I am that CK exception, not the norm, and the industry has often sacrificed the norm and banked on the exception to fill roles with actors they are more comfortable with.

• Members

Except it's not about standard English it's more about the way CK speaks. Standard American English doesn't equal talk like you are an extra from Clueless.Not just Daytime but most of tv tends to cast the black woman who you can completely forget is black because she comes off as what people stereotype with white. Phylicia Rashād speaks English very well and she doesn't come off as "white".

• Members

Oh absolutely, the Valley Girl thing can be extra grating and I know black viewers who find that "sick'nin" to listen to when that is the sole black voice to hear on a program. I dunno, I get flack for generalizing, but I trust my life experiences and can spot the transparency in a lot of minority casting choices.

Archived