Best/Worst Soap Funerals

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

That's precisely how I feel about it. To be fair--and yes I am a Malone/Griffith-Gottlieb fanboy--they were still trying to find their footing at this point, and experiment with the format, and a lot of stuff didn't work.

Still, as a massive Valerie Pettiford fan (who I saw in Fosse, twice), it seems like one of the few memorable things she did when she was wasted on OLTL...

She died the first week (I believe) that Malone took over as HW--late 1991? He used her death week to do flashbacks to past OLTL episodes. Luna parachuted in pretty much at the start of his run... (I think)

You mean a homage to Imitation of Life? :P I guess Mahalia Jackson had been gone too long...

• Members

That's right--thanks for the correction. That was one of the short-term stories Gottlieb was really gungho for (the main one, really--didn't it star the guy from Body Double?), and wisely they fairly quickly realized didn't work for soaps. That's one thing I really give the Gottlieb era credit for--they experimented, and yes, I get why some longtime fans felt they changed too much, but I still feel that Rauch's final years at OLTL had really decimated the show. But importantly, they learned from their experiments--things were tried and then quickly changed. Often when a new regime comes on a show and they want to shake things up, they remain stubborn to their ideas and stick with them no matter how badly they aren't working.

Archived