Will GH new timeslot affect the ratings?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Katie Who? Ellen DeGeneres Crushes, Delivers Best Ratings Since 2003

Dr. Oz also gets off to a strong start in his fourth season and Anderson improves with a new format.

While Katie got off to a strong start, the best among the talk show newcomers, Ellen and Dr. Oz returned with season premieres that were also noteworthy.

Ellen scored a 3.0 in total households in metered markets, and its highest rating since the 2006-2007 season, (Full national numbers won’t be available until next week). That projects Ellen as taking an 8 percent share of the viewing audience, which would be her best in that measure since the show went on the air in 2003.

Warner Bros. and stations carrying Ellen have to be very pleased. Ellen was tops not only in households but also among women 25 to 54 (with a 2.2 rating among the key daytime audience demo), women 18 to 49 (1.7) and all adults 25 to 54 (1.4).

• Members

That's fantastic that GH moved into its new timeslot with ratings FAR exceeding those of The Revolution and GAA. AMC and OLTL will never return, but at least we know that the decison to cancel those shows was idiotic and short sighted. There is still an audience for soaps.

• Members

But we don't actually know that. A one-day ratings spike doesn't negate 10-15 years of plummeting numbers. The financial/business realities haven't changed. Why is it that when Guza's sweeps stunts bumped the ratings people saw that for what it was: temporary and unsustainable but this one-day, non-sweeps stunt bump is being heralded as Soap Opera Resurrection Day?

• Members

This is a bit different though. I can't remember the last time a soap gained over 500k viewers in one episode, the difference with this is that Guza's stunts eventually stopped working (Vanessa Marcil and Genie Francis, anyone?) and barely moved the neilsen radar during his last few years, same with Wolfe. This shows at the very least interest for lapsed viewers something GH hasn't had access to in quite awhile. This show isn't dead and it reminds me like a bit of an echo such as OLTL's finale surge and Days' circa 2009. If you write something the audience likes they will come, it's just about if you can keep them. Even if people don't like GH right now I do think this is a good sign for the show it shows that at least some portion of the audience is still willing to return. A 2.5 household ranking isn't that far off from something we would have seen for the other soaps back in 2004 or 2005, which was pretty stable for a soap 7 years back.

• Members

Days just returned after the Olympics and their return day, Monday drew almost 3million viewers with a 2.2 rating and zero promotion by the way. Where were all the raves about the fact they did relatively well for a couple of weeks? I'm not belittling GH but they did get a ton of cross network promotion with their change and event. And like it or not Katie following them probably helped in some markets. I hope for the sake of folks who are enjoying the show it continues and lives a long life. But the way does anyone know how GH did yesterday following the 2.5 Monday?

Archived