Should soaps do away with end-of-episode previews?

• Members

The worst was mid episode previews. The CBS soaps would do that and would spoil things that would happen(like major things too) later in the same show. AMC adopted that for its bumpers in the last year but those weren't too spoilerish

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'm not a fan of the "Next episode" preview.. Days has done them off and on for the 17 years I've watched.. and I agree that sometimes they can spoil storyline. And just practically speaking, in today's soap world where every dollar counts.. I say cutting that 10-20 seconds to help the bottom dollar is an easy decision.

• Members

Was beginning to think I was the only one that actually liked them, too. And what with thousands of different soap opera message boards, online spoilers, soap magazine spoilers, Facebook, Twitter, etc. most of us already know what is going to be happening within the next twelve months. Seeing part of the next day's activities roll out in five seconds is no biggie, at least to me.

• Members

I find them fine, too. I try my best to avoid spoilers but, mostly the previews show enough to keep me interested--I especially appreciate them with the online soaps now when we have to wait a week between episodes.

I will agree that those mid show previews ATWT, for example, used to do were beyond inane--you really show you have little faith of your audience sticking around if you feel the need for that...

• Members

And they could also structure it were Monday's recap will be like a primetime recap and cover more than the previous episode. Maybe Monday can cover the previous week and the Tuesday-Friday can have "Mini-Recaps". That said that may be too many recaps but people do tend to forget things over the weekend.

• Members

I agree that the "previously on" recaps were more helpful than the spoilerish "on the next" previews, even though the recaps usually seemed unnecessary once the show started and dialogue and/or flashbacks got you caught up anyway. They were also so fast with that obnoxious swish sound effect. The primetime soaps did recaps the best, especially the sand castle opening season of Knots.

• Members

Next episode previews - unnecessary and damaging.

Previously previews - annoying and counterproductive for those who think 'Okay, I can miss an episode after all'.

They both are an example of TPTB's laziness. They need to go.

• Members

I think that next episode previews should be available on the internet, but (out of consideration for those who don't want to be spoiled) should not appear at the end of the "regular" episode.

Archived