Y&R: TV Guide interview with Jill Farren Phelps

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'm not sure I understand why a lot of posters are excited about JFP/JG coming aboard. Yeah, MAB's storytelling degenerated during her stint, but with a few glaring exceptions, she did keep the vets front burner. I think JFP/JG have a mandate from Sony to really get those demos up (translation: emphasis on pretty, young faces and even more shallow storytelling). Your ideas for a Kay/Jill feud are great and I'd love to see that reignited, but I doubt anyone there wants to have two "older" women driving story. And on the remote chance that were to happen, do you think it would truly encompass the history and complexity of their relationship? It would be dumbed down to appeal to 12-year-old girls just like everything else. So, yeah, it's nice to get rid of MAB and "reboot" the show and I understand wanting to be optimistic about the future, but I serioulsly have my doubts.

• Members

Sharon has become unrecognizable. Probably the most ruined character during MAB. I don't think she totally disregarded Jess Walton. Obviously they wanted to take Jill beyond the feud with Kay, maybe in preparation for Granny Cooper's eventual retirement, and open her up to more story possibilities by making her Lauren's sister. However, that was just a silly development and never really went anywhere.

• Members

They spent the past year trying to replace Jess Walton with Genie Francis. Stories Jill should've been in like the Jabot one she wasn't.People started liking Colin and Jill so they push him back with Genevieve. And then on the day of Jill's exit that bitch was judging Jill's parenting skills when Jill was a better mother to Cane than she ever was. And before that they were trying to replace Jill with Gloria's wannabe socialite ass.

• Members

http://daytimeconfidential.zap2it.com/2012/09/06/jill-farren-phelps-on-her-and-josh-griffiths-young-and-restless-goals-we-have-fabulous-st?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

In the Sept. 10-24 issue of CBS Soaps In Depth, Phelps responded to questions about if she and Griffith plan to wrap up any of the previous regime's many dangling plot threads. Said Phelps:

"We're not going back at all. We don't want to jerk the audience out of a comfort zone that they have with their Y&R. That being said, we have fabulous stories to tell."

Archived