Katie Couric's Daytime Show: Discussion Thread

Toups

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I hope this means OLTL is coming back at 3 lol on Sept 24th

http://daytimeconfid...to-prove-itself

Cindy Adams Says Katie Couric's Talk Show Has Just Three Days to Prove Itself!

According to Page Six maven Cindy Adams, Katie Couric's new syndicated talk show, Katie, is being given only three days to prove a hit or a miss when it debuts this fall. Said Adams:

We’ve seen television favorites yanked off
shows
despite contractual obligations. Katie Couric’s ABC daytimer debuts September. So when will TV hotshots determine her new effort’s hot or not? Two years? Three seasons? Six episodes? Care to hear precisely exactly how long their eyes take to decide? You won’t believe it. But believe it.

Three days.

Day 1, everybody tunes in. Day 2, it’s those watching a second time plus whoever missed the first program. By Day 3, the tinkering begins, but to suits in those offices if the ratings aren’t solid gold, it’s already all over.

Three days to tell if Katie’s A-OK. And please don’t insult me by saying I don’t know what I’m talking about. I know what I’m talking about because I know what they are talking about.

Um, this all sounds more than a little bit kooky. Then again, Adams didn't become the gossip queen extraordinaire by not knowing what she's talking about!

That being said, I can't imagine ABC's syndication arm would yank Couric off the air after just three airings! What would all the stations who've cleared the talker air in its place, Celebrity Boob Jobs Gone Wrong (Thank you, Tony Geary!)? Taking this bit of news with enough salt to kill a herd of wildebeest.

• Members

Cindy Adams is legit. She is completely hooked up with NYC society types, media types, and so forth. I tend to take her at her word. Way back when OLTL and AMC was canceled she and she alone said ABC wanted Frons out, was going to deny it, and it would look like he left on his own.

• Members

Cindy Adams is not the only one who said that by the way. Hollywood Reporter had that months before Frons left.

I'm not questioning they have high expectations Or that she has some sources, but I don't buy that she only has 3 days. And with syndication deals they can't just pull the show at a whim.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I'm rooting for Ricki Lake's show, I could care less about what happens to Katie because she's ultimately going to be at ABC News doing the B List interviews that Barbara won't do and Diane is too busy for.

And yes, Cindy Adams is legit. Very well informed. If she's published it, it's likely true.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

I'm just curious because in Chicago when GH moves to 1pm opposite DOOL, Inside Addition is being bumped up to GH's spot, not Katie. She's premiering at 3pm. There was a big deal about Katie taking GH's spot, but now she isn't. Why move GH? So it can fail against DOOL?

What is ABC up to?

Archived