Katie Couric's Daytime Show: Discussion Thread

Toups

• Members

Katie Who? Ellen DeGeneres Crushes, Delivers Best Ratings Since 2003

Dr. Oz also gets off to a strong start in his fourth season and Anderson improves with a new format.

While Katie got off to a strong start, the best among the talk show newcomers, Ellen and Dr. Oz returned with season premieres that were also noteworthy.

Ellen scored a 3.0 in total households in metered markets, and its highest rating since the 2006-2007 season, (Full national numbers won’t be available until next week). That projects Ellen as taking an 8 percent share of the viewing audience, which would be her best in that measure since the show went on the air in 2003.

Warner Bros. and stations carrying Ellen have to be very pleased. Ellen was tops not only in households but also among women 25 to 54 (with a 2.2 rating among the key daytime audience demo), women 18 to 49 (1.7) and all adults 25 to 54 (1.4).

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

It's just kind of blah. Nothing really bad, but nothing to get excited about either. As others have said, she is clearly attempting to emulate Oprah's style, but Oprah, love her or hate her, was unique. She mixed the celebrity stuff with real world issues and stories taken from the news. Plus she connected with the audience better than almost anyone. Katie's perkiness comes off a little fake to me.

• Members

I think the show is ok. It's not one I'll watch regularly, only when she has someone on that interests me. But Oprah became the same to me her last few years. Yeah they are trying to be Oprah and she's not Oprah. I think over time shell find what works best for her. She might do better with more serious interviews because I just find her hard to be that relatable person that many felt Oprah was at one time.

• Members

THE TALK Season Premiere Up 28% From Last Year; KATIE Drops On Day 2

The third season premiere of THE TALK delivered a 2.3 household rating in Nielsen’s 56 local metered markets, a +28% increase from last year’s premiere and matching its all-time high in the metered markets.

THE YOUNG AND THE RESTLESS stars Melody Thomas Scott and Michelle Stafford joined THE BOLD AND THE BEAUTIFUL's Katherine Kelly Lang on the "Makeup Free Monday" episode.

Due to live coverage of U.S. Open Men’s Final, Monday’s episode of THE TALK aired at 10:00 a.m. on Tuesday, Sept. 11 in the Pacific markets. The final weighted average for this telecast includes the regular airing on Monday in Eastern, Central and Mountain markets as well as the Tuesday 10:00 a.m. airing in Pacific markets.

Metered markets where CBS Owned Stations posted their biggest year-to-year gains include New York, up +50% (2.4/08 from 1.6/05); Chicago, up +108% (2.5/08 from 1.2/04); Philadelphia, +79% (2.5/08 from 1.4/04); Boston, up +250% (1.4/05 from 0.4/02); Detroit, up +69% (2.2/06 from 1.3/04); Miami, up +92% (2.5/07 from 1.3/04); and Denver, up +114% (1.5/07 from 0.7/03).

Meanwhile, in its second outing, Katie Couric’s new syndicated talk show drew a 2.3 household rating/7 share in the metered markets, down 18% from its big series premiere.

http://www.welovesoaps.net/2012/09/the-talk-season-premiere-up-28-from.html

• Members

Katie WHO ;)

http://www.deadline.com/2012/09/katie-drops-again-steve-harvey-now-top-new-syndicated-talk-show-in-women-25-54/#utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Uh-oh. In its fourth airing on Thursday, Katie Couric’s new syndicated talk show dropped 26% in households to a 1.7/5 in the metered markets and 38% to a 0.8/5 in the key Women 25-54 demographic. In households, Katie still finished first among the freshman daytime talk shows but by a smaller margin. In W25-54, it was edged by Steve Harvey (0.9/6 in W 25-54, 1.3/4 in HH), which finished as No.1 for the first time since the launch of Katie.

In four days, Katie has shed 39% in households and 50% in W 25-54 from its big premiere numbers. What is more alarming is that the show has fallen below the time period average last season (2.3/7 HH, 1.4/8 in W25-54), when a large number of stations carried General Hospital. In comparison, Steve Harvey is up from a 1.0/3 HH and 0.5/3 W 25-54 rating in the time period last year. Steve Harvey also has shown consistency, posting a 1.5/4 in HH for its series premiere last week and again this Monday, 1.4/4 on Tuesday and Wednesday and a 1.3/4 o Thursday, ranking No. 2 behind Katie among the newcomers. But his strength has really been in the women demos, posting a 0.9 W 25-54 rating three time this week and a 1.0 on Wednesday. Steve Harvey also has helped a its lead-out, Ellen, which is posting significant year-to-year gains.

• Members

Is anyone watching the interview with Raffaele Sollecito, Amanda Knox's ex boyfriend? A mess! This cow is going at him as if she's prosecuting him. I know she's trying to ask the "hard" questions but making your guest look like a lying idiot is not the way to do it. Ugh, Oprah would have handled this soooo well.

• Members

I wonder if anyone remembers who was murdered? I has no issue with this interview of Katie's because I think Knox and her boyfriend are guilty as hell. Don't believe all the stuff the Knox PR machine has drummed up to portray her as aome all american persecuted young student. Meredith Kerchers family has stayed silent though all this, has not capitalized on the murder of their daughter, and firmly believe to this day that 2 killers have been set free.

Archived