Katie Holmes files for divorce from Tom Cruise

dragonflies

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I do not think their marraige was a sham, really. I think he plucked her to be a poised, perfect, silent wife and breeder. I think she figured, this is tom freakin curise, im in love, yes. And then when it came to whatever the real issue is that led her to this, likely something with Suri, she had had enough and plotted her exit.

That first photo of her since the news broke? AMAZING.

• Members

I think she was head over heals in love with him, and he saw her as a young, naive girl that he could control. What he didn't expect was that she would grow a backbone and that everyone would rally behind her, not him. The entire country still feels bad for Nicole, there's no way they're going to let it happen to Katie, too.

• Members

I don't know if anyone feels sorry for Katie, as this whole marriage was called a "business arrangement" from day one by many in the press to the point where both of them became caricatures for many to pick on. Even now, I'm not really seeing an outpouring of sympathy for either one of them.

I guess the difference between Katie and Nicole is that Nicole actually had a relatively successful career to fall back on, not to mention acting merits of a higher caliber. People didn't just see her as "Tom Cruise's wife."

Meanwhile, Katie is still very much "that girl from Dawson's Creek who married Tom Cruise."

• Members

I'm going off of what I'm seeing on the Entertainment shows and the few mainstream (non-tabloid articles), but they seem rather neutral about Katie.

Though there's been a lot of commentary about Tom being "blind-sighted" by this in an attempt to make him look sympathetic (which he's anything but).

• Members

I'm not sure if it's about feelings of fondness for Nicole or Katie, as much as a lot of people have been freaked out by Tom Cruise since his meltdowns, and in spite of favorable media attention, I'm not sure that has ever gone away.

I do think that the reports of poor Tom who was stunned by the news may make some headway in his favor. A lot of people will always blame the woman.

This article talks about the "school" which supposedly helped push Katie into going for custody.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2168225/Tom-Cruise-Katie-Holmes-divorce-Inside-Scientologys-Sea-Org-Suri-faced-joining.html

• Members

Yeah I'm not sure who's rallying for Katie Holmes I mean who really cares about this. I think it's more about how nutty Tom Cuise is than some rally for Katie. I don't think much of Nicole Kidman as an actress but I will give her credit. Her career improved and grew while married to Cruise where Katie's has just gone into the gutter. If Katie used Tom Cruise for her career advancement, it certainly hasnt been show in any way since she's been married to him. She hasn't done anything.

• Members

I suspect that's because Tom kept her away from her career in order to avoid a repeat of what happened with Nicole. It's just unfortunate that his career seems to have declined in the process.

• Members

Even Nicole didn't have a real career boost until after they broke up - her most acclaimed role was in To Die For, which was a cult movie at best. She had a few roles in popcorn movies but those didn't do a lot for her, and Portrait of a Lady, which didn't seem to go anywhere. The main difference is Nicole was an unknown (to the general public) before she married Tom, whereas Katie was fairly known for her Dawson's Creek days. She had less room to go up.

• Members

Interesting, my local paper in the entertainment section said that Katie felt CoS was going to send Suri to a form of boot camp and that basically was the clincher. Her dad helped her file the divorce papers but it was her decision.

Katie also fired her old security team cause they were too close to Cruise

They also noted what a few others have that all his wives were 33 when they divorced him.

Archived