Actors who did their best work on the way out

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Here are the ones that came to my mind first and foremost:

Philiece Sampler, DAYS- Though Renee (and Sampler for that matter) was never one of my favorites, even I cannot deny that Sampler rocked her exit story and her final scenes as Renee. Throwing that party in her own honor (secretly) and telling the whole town what she thought of them was a fine way for Renee to go out. The whole sequence used to be on Youtube and while I couldn't find that, I was able to find this little mash-up of it. THIS is the Days of our Lives that I long for and miss, the DAYS I often refer to when I argue that JER's storytelling damaged the characters, the acting, and the entire DAYS landscape.

Sabryn Genet, Y&R- Tricia Dennison on paper could have turned out to be such an uninteresting, run-of-the-mill heroine (or possible vixen). But something must have went off inside Bill Bell's mind and he saw something in Genet and scripted her one of the finest descents into madness I've ever seen on daytime. Genet's work in that final year on the show was truly mesmerizing and she definitely went out with a bang. I actually thought she'd have been one of the first people mentioned in this thread.

• Members

THIS! I never watched Loving, but these clips always made me an insta fan of the show. I'm guessing the full storyline isn't on youtube? I'd love to get the chance to watch the Loving Murders in full. In fact, any episode of Loving I have actually really enjoyed. I hope one day I will get the chance to watch it.

• Members

Yes, Loving was a true gem of a show. Unfortunately for me, I was living in St. Louis when Loving was going off and morphing into The City and their ABC affiliate hadn't carried it for sometime. So I was never able to watch The Loving Murders and couldn't WAIT for them to show up on youtube (still waiting for that). I'm so glad that the climax has been posted though. I always heard rave reviews of Christine Tudor's work in the story, which I certainly believed. I always thought she was a fabulous actress and I love, Love, LOVED her as Gwyn Alden.

I think Loving was before it's time in a way because I truly think it may have found more success if it premiered a bit later on in the 80s, like when either SFT or Ryan's Hope went off the air and another half hour soap was really needed. Loving was such an easy, breezy half hour watch- there was always something going on and enough good actors and characters in the cast that there was always something there daily to hold your interest.

• Members

I thought the first year or two of Loving was great. It actually focused on family and community, while the other shows were doing their imitation Luke & Laura storylines. It was very reminiscent of mid-late 70s AMC. Then again, maybe that was its problem...having no real identity other than being seen as a "poor man's AMC." There was some conflict between Marland and Nixon I gather, but I thought the show was pure gold those first couple of years. Then started the revolving door of writers and producers which created so many continunity problems, and it gradually degenerated into a campy mess with no real vision. I watched some of the Loving murders storyline. Agree that Tudor was great, but it was sad and pathetic watching this campy mess play out knowing there was so much potential there at the begnning. My two cents at least.

• Members

Lindsey Hartley as Arianna on Days did a great job with her exit storyline. I think she was the perfect rival for Sami by the end and it's a shame they killed her off because they finally found a place for her on the show as Sami's reckoning for her atrocious actions. There was also quite a bit of chemistry between her and James Scott. I think that would have been more interesting then Taylor although I did like Natalia Livingston in the role for the brief time she was there. I also liked Natalia's last few scenes with Tyler Christopher on GH.

• Members

Sarah Buxton as Morgan on B&B. That character was a disaster from the very beginning but Buxton was a great actress and even pulled off that clown stunt at the end of her first run with pure perfection. Sarah was screwed over by Bradley Bell twice but never spoke badly about him or about the show.

• Members

Natalia Livingston was on fire at the end there as Rebecca.

But I think Amanda Baker owns this thread. I thought she was great as GHNS' Jolene, but no one sat this poor girl down and told her that she was completely missing the mark with Babe. Babe was classier and softer than all the Fusion girls combined when AB was in the role and that was so not Babe, lol. But even though she was still a little soft around the edges under Chuck Pratt, Baker killed it in her last six weeks with the Fusion takeover/Bella, her reunion with the JR, and the tornado.

• Members

The cameo was seriously so bad. It was all Taylor seemed to care about for months. There was another bad one back in early 00s -- THE TAPE that proved that Sami had lied about Lucas abusing Will (or something). She was chasing after the damn thing for months, and it all culminated at Greta's coronation-turned-massacre, when Sami watched her entire family be gunned down and then stood up and screamed, "THE TAPE! I HAVE TO FIND THE TAPE!"

I also agree with Kyle Brandt. I think he did some nice work as Philip, although the character he was playing was a totally different person than JKJ's Philip.

Archived