RUMOR REPORT: YR Fires Vet!!!

• Members

This is unfortunate, but I honestly don't think it will make a huge difference. As much as I love Davidson, I've never viewed Ashley Abbott as a lead on Y&R in the entire time I've been watching. She's certainly more expendable than MTS, Stafford, Walton or even Cooper.

But if Y&R wanted to cut a big salary, why not start with Genie Francis, who was an epic fail from the beginning, Greg Rikaart, who hasn't had a storyline that hasn't flopped since about 2006, or even Sharon Case, whose character has been ruined so much it's laughable (not that there was much to ruin in the first place)?

I hope Davidson goes back to B&B. Brad Bell actually seemed to know how to write for her.

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I LOVE ED on Y&R, believe me. But she's FAR more needed at DAYS and her talents would be put to much better use there on a much happier set. A long-term storyline with mini arcs involving Kristen, Stefano, Marlena, and John is just what the show needs. I say go for it!

As for Y&R, ya'll know the drum I'm beating.

BRING BACK BRENDA EPPERSON as THE REAL ASHLEY ABBOTT!!!

and Mark Collier as her love interest

• Members

Try Steve Kent & Co, AKA SONY. I blame MAB/Sheffer/Hamner for most of the writing decisions I see on the show.

But Casting Issues (and UN-Casting issues for that matter) I think mostly boil down to SONY and their tight pockets, not to mention their lack of knowledge about what works on Y&R.

Because, frankly, Davidson and Ashley are one of VERY FEW things that are working with the show right now and there are at least 25-30 people I'd fire before her. Hell, I can think of 6 people that could go right now and free up the money for Davidson, a Kimberlin Brown return, and a Victoria Rowell return.

Seriously.

• Members

But try to look at it as something that could actually work out two fold:

Eileen can return to DAYS ( as Kristen ONLY .....at first.......with some doses of Susan here and there) and be just what the show needs to experience a ratings spike. In fact, I think that Eileen Davidson is the only actress that could return to a show right now and actually have a MAJOR impact on ratings. It's not just the Kristen character, but what Kristen can do for people like John, Marlena, Roman, Stefano, EJ, Billie, Laura (if they chose to bring her back), Jennifer......the list goes on and on. I truly believe Eileen could and would save DAYS.

Secondly, start campaigning for Brenda Epperson to return to Y&R as Ashley. She made a FABULOUS Ashley and I truly believe this decision is based solely on money and a desire for ED to go back to DAYS and not at all about wanting Ashley off the canvas (like it was with LML).. Let's face it, Epperson would come A LOT cheaper than Davidson, has the appeal and charm to win over fans who never saw her work and appease the outrage of those who have watched Y&R through Ashley's entire run. In FACT, I plan on Facebooking Brenda tomorrow (we chat now & then) and telling her to get her people on it & fast. Instead of writing Ashley a permanent exit story, they could write her one that's short term and bring Epperson back in. Plus, I'd be curious to see her chemistry with Nichols (although I do think he had it in spades with Davidson).

Look at the positives Cat and I'm sorry, but I just don't see ED or Ashley going to B&B as a positive. With the cast of characters that show has now and the youth-oriented stories they're focusing on, they'd Lesli Kay the hell out of ED.

• Members

It's always so nice to see the Brenda Epperson fans around! I loved her as Ashley and she will always be my favorite. And this is the right time for a comeback since passnum1 has been putting her episodes on Youtube. I don't think I'd want to see her at Y&R these days but if there is a campaign I hope she gets hired at Y&R or somewhere. If I was on Twitter I'd do that campaign some DAYS fans are doing.

Marcy needs to exorcise that set.

• Members

I appreciate your take on the subject.

ED has always been "my" Ashley. Confession: I took a break from Y&R when Brenda Epperson was in the role. So the only person I can relate to as this character is Davidson. I will go to YouTube to watch Epperson's work in order to get a better appreciation.

I honestly think ED deserves better than that hokey, false-teeth nonsense, but if she came back as Kristen only, I think she would be a shot in the arm to that show. So far, the only returns that have been a success for me have been Dee Hall and Lisa Rinna.

• Members

Epperson was my first Ashley as well. There was a very lovable and sweet quality to her take on the character that I don't find in Davidson's (who I love as well).

I really couldn't see Epperson's Ashley acting out spermgate or most of Ashley's recent stories.

While I think Davidson is the definitive Ashley, I think Epperson did breathe new life into the character for a while and her take was just as popular during her years on the show.

• Members

I'd be fine with Epperson as Ashley as well. When I started watching Y&R when I was young, that's actually who was in the role anyways. As much as it pisses me off they fired Davidson before about 15 others who needed to go first, DAYS needs her more than Y&R does at the moment and Epperson was a fine Ashley back in the day.

• Members

I actually just IMed Brenda on Facebook and it was the first she'd heard it (she's been out of the soap scene for quite a bit, so no surprise there). She asked if it could be a ploy, as some actors do that, but I assured her that it wasn't, that ED was gone, and it's more than likely about money than it is about the Ashley character. That said, she said she would phone Braeden tomorrow, get the story as he knows it, and go from there. Her initial response was to remind me that there "is an Ashley" which I informed her there was not. I also told her that her name had been brought up on some of the boards as who people would like to see take over the part. Who knows if it'll happen, but at least it's been put out there into the universe. I for one would LOVE to see it happen.

And I'd call her far more than "serviceable" as Ashley. Just because she softened Ashley's bitchier side some doesn't mean she wasn't Ashley and didn't make the character her own because she did, sometimes with better results and performances than we ever would have gotten out of Davidson as Ashley (especially when you consider this period of her career- Awkward & miscast as SB's Kelly, and generic and seemingly out of place during the first couple years of her DAYS run).

Though I might agree we may not see her lead a story again, but how long has it been since Eileen has actually lead a story as Ash? It didn't happen under LML and it certainly hasn't happened under this regime.

Archived