• Members

I pretty much gave up on AMC after Stuart's whodunit, but I'd tune in occasionally. I was shocked by one scene with Daniel Cosgrove, who showed more skin than I've ever seen on daytime. Anyone who has seen it or the caps knows what I'm talking about, LOL.

Through JHB & BE, I remember a lot of skin. But ya, my AMC viewing became nearly nonexistent after Pratt seemed hell bent on destroying it. I did tune back in for Greenlee's return and watched pretty regularly through LB's interim stint, but tuned out again when it became too evident that DK & DS were just (way!) worse versions of JHB & BE.

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Are you talking about this scene? LOL!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3PN7mF_lLI

Though not as much as the other soaps, I do think there was a considerable amount of skin on AMC in its last few years. Under Kreizman and Swajeski's tenure (and even LB), we got quite a bit of shirtless Griffin, Asher, JR and Scott. Ryan a few times. As for women, yeah not much. I do remember one time in 2010 when Annie was in her bikini at the park w/Scott

In the May and June 2007 recaps I've recently watched from SOAPnet, Sean Montgomery has been shirtless in every other episode! LOL.

• Members

I could never really invest in:

OLTL: I tried, several times, it just never grabbed me, I only ever watched it when there was a big event featuring an actress I appreciated (Fiona Hutchison, Robin Strasser and Catherine Hickland's respective exits and when Linda Dano joined the show). The fawning praise the show netted in its last years had me tune in and left me dumbfounded.

ATWT: Never understood it, always found it hollow and pedestrian.

GL: I only watched it with any consistency when Joan Collins played Alexandra Spaulding and when Linda Dano guest starred as a prison inmate.

PC: I tried with this soap as well because I love Lynn Herring...but the second Erin Hershey Presley and Kelly Monaco became leading ladies I checked out because the show seemed to desert its GH roots.

Soaps I've grown to hate:

GH: The violence, ageism, misogyny, there is nothing to like about GH for the last 8 years or so.

Y&R: Oh, how the mighty have fallen. It seems that the reasons most people hate Y&R are the reasons I loved it. The pauses, the arch quality of some of the actors, the slow pace, how seriously other actors take the characters (Braeden, Bergman, Scott, Cooper and Walton)...Y&R has fallen apart since Kay Alden left in 2007. I really would have preferred the show just end in 2007 rather than endure the crap that's on the air now.

• Members

ATWT was always old fashioned and epitomizing the worst of the CBS/P&G style. All the CBS actresses looked the same, and everyone on ATWT and GL looked middle aged and out of dept store catelog so white bread even K-Mart would shun it. The worst was whatever his name is that played Holden. As soon as I would see his face I would to turn the channel before I got angry.

• Members

I love this topic and I agree, it's just a matter of taste. I also can't get into DAYS for the same reasons. I don't like supernatural/sci-fi stories on my soaps and whatever Stephano is doing with John & Hope just bores me.

LMAO!

Yeah, even when Bill Bell was writing it, I found it dull and so stereotypical with the close-ups where nothing interesting was happening.

ICAM about Passions, GH and OLTL, although I lost interest in OLTL around the time Catherine Hickland left. For some reason, I just didn't care enough about the Buchanans at that point and Lindsay's manipulations were the only reason I kept tuning in.

Interesting take on DAYS.

ITA!

Remember the Forrester cousin who was molested by his uncle? B&B always brought up social issues for shock value and then dropped them.

Once again, Eric, I pretty much agree with you 100%!

• Members

Never could get into Loving nor The City watched on and off to see Angie and Tracey Quartermine but never could get with it.

PC lost my viewership when it went sci-fi, was going to go back to watching but learned of Karen Wexler's death.

B&B, I liked the characters but not the stories. enjoyed Betty White run on the show.

• Members

Several years ago, I was eating lunch at our local diner, one of the television sets was on, and Passions was on. I saw several young people stop what they were doing and huddled themselves around the television. Those poor, misguided fools...I knew soaps when they were in their heyday. I'll never understand how an iconic show like Another World was thrown overboard for this nonsensical piece of doggie do-do.

• Members

You articulated it PERFECTLY. That's what bothered me so much, nobody was unique, everyone looked the same, middle aged and like they fell out of a Sears catalogue.

GL wasn't nearly as bad...and AW, I just loved, it must have been the NBC influence...CBS and P&G seemed to have this 'style' that aged horribly, in terms of writing and visual, over the years.

• Members

IMO most of the women on ATWT did not look the same. Lisa, Kim, Lucinda, Susan, just for starters, were very distinctive in style, appearance, and personality. Barbara was also very different, as was Margo, as was Julie, as was Emily, and later, Carly or Molly. Jessica was strikingly beautiful and you would not see anyone like her in a central role on most soaps.

I think all the soaps have become generic over time but I don't think the P&G soaps ever blurred together that much in recent years. I think GL and ATWT were very different for many many years.

• Members

I loved AW and EON, but was not terribly fond of other P&G shows. I dropped in on ATWT and GL every so often, but I was never a huge fan. I watched a fair amount of SFT once it transitioned to NBC, but it never held any great appeal for me.

I found a lot to like in 80s OLTL and GH, and some things to like in the 90s versions, but I never got in to AMC. (Though I loved Phoebe and Opal as characters, and thought David Canary was terrific.)

• Members

I loved the CBS PGP soaps, but AW never did anything for me.

It had fabulous actors, but during its last 15 years or so, the stories were never gripping or consistent enough for me to want to follow on an everyday basis. I know I would have loved/enjoyed Lemay's work in the early to mid 70's though.

Even though GL and ATWT were older shows, I thought they aged and transitioned better with the times than AW did.

• Members

I think AW's strength was friendship and complex characterization - the family dynamics and strong stories weren't quite there. I think that died with Mac. I think AW always had great potential, even up to the end, the writing just kept letting them down.

Archived