• Members

I don't have a problem with Santa Barbara because the characters have such strong emotions and the actors are easy to connect with (at least the ones I enjoyed, like Marcy Walker and Robin Mattson and Judith McConnell and NLG, etc.).

Of all the soaps, Passions is probably the one I felt the least for, and never cared about getting into. I never really cared about Sunset Beach either - it just felt kind of hollow. I did watch some of it, mostly around the Terror Island story.

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Absolutely. And I recognize the strength of the cast and characters, and I have tremendous respect for the Dobsons, and the sense of humour of the show, but for some reason none of it rises above the fact that I'm watching a lot of my least favourite of 80s characters.

• Members

I really am enjoying SuBe, honestly. Even watching it now (for the first time) on YouTube, I feel like I'm watching something fresh for daytime. Even the rotten scripts didn't stop me from getting reeled in. It started off really well (at least STARTED, I don't know how things went down the road yet).

• Members

See, I enjoy rich characters and families. That's not the issue. The issue is when there's virtually no one who ISN'T rich. It just stops being relatable to me. I need my grounded characters to mix it up with the rich people.

• Members

I think I couldn't shake the plastic feeling I got from the show. I didn't like Susan Ward, so that was a big strike. I think some of the actors worked well within that show's frame but haven't elsewhere in soaps (like LAD, and Sarah Buxton).

• Members

That I absolutely agree with. And frankly, the first couple episodes seemed to feel more like Saved By The Bell: The Baywatch Class than a real soap, and maybe the show WOULD have worked better on TNBC (I always thought Noon was a lousy timeslot), but that's not really the point. I don't think SuBe had enough strong actors to balance it all out. And BOY is Adrienne Frantz GREEN on this show. YOWZAH!

• Members

Believe it or not, Dallas. Though I don't actually "hate" it. I love Knots Landing, Dynasty, BH90210, and Melrose Place and enjoyed the reruns on SoapNet. But I tried to watch Dallas and could never get into it.

• Members

Y&R. I gave up on it in the mid-90's, and didn't look back. I grew to hate it trying to watch Maura West slog through the hackneyed tripe it now exists as. Hate with a capital H.

• Members

As The World Turns was the only soap I could never really get into. I tried briefly after AW was canceled, but once they killed off Vicky I was steamed. I was the same with Y&R but at some point in the last few years I became a somewhat regular viewer.

Archived