• Members

The shitshow that has been fronting as General Hospital for the past 12 years. Other than it being a gutted vessel that houses the OLTL characters that I enjoy and miss, it has zero reason to continue to exist.

To say that I have been rooting for its long overdue demise for ages is an understatement.

Ditto.

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I just don't know what way to measure the two can one come up with the 90s were GH's glory days. It's one thing to like it more, but when you look at size of the audience, place in the ratings, and place on the pop culture radar, the 80s just has to be the glory days. Same for AMC.

• Members

For me, it was simple - GH in the 90s felt current (in the characterization, storylines, and look) in a way that the 80s (from what I've seen on YT) did not. Furthermore, it's simply a case of me discovering GH during the 90s that gives me a reason to have a greater affinity for it.

• Members

I loved GH from the first, but I hated those stupid 80s WSB stories that went on forever. Parts of the 90s and 00s were pretty good, but when GH became Mob Central in 2003 it went downhill fast.

OLTL was great for a lot of years. I quit watching when it became too much work to FF through Natalie, Starr and Jess every day.

AMC had some interesting characters and stories and some wonderful actors like David Canary, but I didn't like much of AMC. Erica ruined it for me most of the time, then her daughters delivered the death blow.

I liked B&B until Brad Bell. Now it sucks.

Y&R was among the best soaps for a long time. It's too bad it has become unwatchable because at one time it was my can't miss soap.

I was never able to get into Passions, but I don't like badly done camp.

The only soap I've always hated has been DOOL.

• Members

I used to hate some soaps. As time has passed and I miss the soap artform in general, and all the soaps have been terrible for a long long time, I no longer can say, "I hate ____." There are soaps I have never felt an emotional connection with.

• Members

Great! I was beginning to think I was the only one. When AMC became the Erica show, I became a FF-ing viewer. Those two daughters were like Cinderella's stepsisters, especially that one with the lethal weapon elbows. Those things should be registered with law enforcement.

The worst Cinderella's stepsisters are the Davis girls on GH, but Erica's daughters came in second.

• Members

I never connected to ATWT. Oh, I watched it daily near the end, but that was mostly to support a dying show and to stick it to OLTL for the Great Minority Purge of 2010. Not that I could affect anything, seeing as I'm not a Neilsen home, but I liked to think I was standing up for my principles or somesuch nonsense.

I think the problem was that I never saw the Marland era, and only was around for endless hours of Mike Kasnoff and Carly squinting a lot. It just bored me. Keep in mind I was 9 years old at the time.

LOATHE GH with a burning, fiery passion (at least Post-2000 GH anyway). B&B usually turned me off, but I kinda connected to it sometimes.

Passions I spitefully avoided thanks to AW's cancellation, and frankly, I have to admit, I know I really didn't miss all that much.

• Members

I nearly forgot, Santa Barbara. I know I SHOULD like it. Intellectually I get the appeal of it, but the whole affair leaves me cold every time I try to get into it. Maybe the "everybody's rich" part of it? I had a similar problem with Dynasty too.

Also, the trouble with DAYS is that it has such a wildly varied sense of what it is as a show and what it's about. Not a decade has gone by in this show since Betty Corday's swansong that the show hasn't made a huge shift in its style. From Bell's envelope-pushing, to wild OTT capers and adventures underscored with serious topical drama, to Reilly's shallowing of the show to near-elementary school proportions (not that I minded his work), to the increasingly absurd attempts to capture that same lightning in a different (cheaper) bottle. This is a show that does not know what it wants to be anymore and frankly, I'm not surprised many people are left cold by it.

Archived