Jonathan Frid died April 14.

• Members

Thanks for reading them. I have one or two more I will find tomorrow.

I never really was a huge Barnabas fan but I did over time appreciate how much he brought to DS. The job must have been draining, especially since he couldn't read the teleprompter, yet he kept going, and sometimes he was perfect. He forged so many strong partnerships with Grayson Hall, Lara Parker, Kathryn Leigh Scott, Alexandra Moltke, John Karlen. It's something which you just can't create, and it's something you see very rarely on TV now. It's also something which people who love to go on about how DS was popular solely because of "camp" or "cheap" qualities simply do not get. As sorry as I am to see Frid go, at least this may focus more attention on the true appeal of Dark Shadows, and less attention on the usual freak show from Depp and Burton.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I was resistant to watching DS when it was being publicized before it started, but then I tuned in to satisfy my curiosity. I soon found myself wanting to watch and then I became an avid viewer. DS was so much more than the sum of its parts because it had a very real heart (pun unintentional).

Burton was so good in a few things at the beginning of his career, but then he decided he was as wonderful as those who acclaimed him said he was. Now everything he does comes from his ego. As for Depp? He feels lost.

• Members

I don't know if it's the vampire in him, but he's definitely one of those actors you don't think will ever die. He's *so* adorable and lovable as a person. Did anybody else follow his website? It was like a diary of his going ons and it was so cute and unexpected for someone his age. He just seemed so damn interesting and unforgettable.

• Members

I can't stand most of what I've seen of the new film - I think they don't realize the humor, the lunacy of DS is really more innate when it takes itself seriously - but I'm going to try and give it a chance. I do have to commend Johnny Depp for his statement. I think that despite the [!@#$%^&*] Tim Burton puts him in time after time, he's very talented and very genuine - even when he is playing variations on the same outsize persona in big summer films. He can always do something different, it's just he's a megastar now.

• Members

^^ Yes, I would be very interested to read Vee's take on the movie.

RIP Jonathan Frid. I have only ever seen YouTube clips of Dark Shadows, but I could have listened to Frid's voice all day long. I realy loved the way he played the relationship with Angelique, with actresses Joan Bennett and Alexandra Moltke, heck even with Collinsport peons who were kind of petrified of him.

He obviously had theatrical training and could have played many other roles, I only wish I had seen him do other stuff. Thank you for posting those vintage interviews, Carl -- it was heartwarming to see that, far from cursing his Dark Shadows roots, he later went on the lecture circuit regarding the show and the character he played.

Archived