Jonathan Frid died April 14.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I have a few more, although they probably all seem redundant. There is likely tons out there, as the show was so huge in teen magazines and all the rest. And this was all organic. No heavily manipulated media campaigns, like we have today.

• Members

Interesting that he died on the same date (April 14) as Barnabas was first introduced on Dark Shadows, according to that article (although Wikipedia says it his first airdate was March 22).

Anyway, I first watched Dark Shadows in reruns on Syfy back in the '90s while in high school.

It's been a bad month for people dying that I have grown up watching (either in real life or on TV). I have lost my great aunt and kindergarten teacher in the last few weeks. Then Dick Clark passed away and now this. Such a sad month...

• Members

Not that Mr. Frid was anyone's answer to Laurence Olivier, but it always saddens me to think he was typecasted with that one role. Regardless, though, prayers must go out to his loved ones as well as fans, who must number in the legions.

• Members

Even though he was no spring chicken when DS originally aired, he always seemed timeless to me at those reunions they put out on DVD. A lot of these recent deaths hit close to home. I remember running home from school to see DS. I started watching when Victoria Winters went into the past to find out how Barnabas became a vampire. Jonathan Frid used to "go up" on a lot of his lines, but when the scene called for him to just be menacing, he gave me chills. I remember a scene where he walled up alive the evil Reverend Trask. He was scary as hell in that scene.

I guess night really has fallen on the old house at Collinwood.

• Members

Thanks for the scans, CarlD2. There's some interesting reading in them; it sounds like he didn't take himself very seriously.

I was surprised this one hit me hard. Maybe because I hadn't seen much of him in years, he was still the same age in my mind.

Archived