Huffington Post: General Hospital: A New Beginning or a Dead End?

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

GH's fate was sealed IMO the day their timeslot was given back to the affiliates. I don' think killing or bringing Robin bak from the dead if it happens changes anything nor does bringing back vets or others.

I like the writer here sees the positives and negatives and has not joined the FV/RC cheerleaders.

• Members

I think Samms looks stunning, her face and body are flawless at her age. She should be starring in a primetime series or on one of the UK soaps right now. Hollyoaks would be PERFECT for her. The article as a whole is great and I like that it's subjective. I agree that certain things should've been treated with more care, including Robin's death. I'm fine with how she died and why, but the actual event was so poorly staged that it took me out of everything. That sequence of events could've been so suspenseful, but it felt so poorly written and directed. The aftermath has been GREAT so far though.

I also agree that I need a bigger shift that we've seen from the mob. It looks like they'll give lip service to our complaints, but overall Sonny and Jason will still be the stars, the heroes who get away with everything and as a result it's more of the same. Maybe better written, but still more of the same. A big problem is that the show hasn't properly developed other leading men, which should be a major focus. Sean, Patrick, Steven, Dante, MAC (who finally feels like he could be a viable character), etc. need to be treated with great care so we potentially have some strong leading men and not Barney Fife's because they're not in the mob.

And my biggest thing is that I will never accept any explaination for Starr's fricking daughter and Cole being killed off. The biggest complaints about GH are the heavy violence and Jake's death, so you start your tenure by killing a kid off and having her burn to death? That is incredibly dark on it's own, but especially in the sea of deaths with Robin and Irina already.

• Members

The main problem with GH's leading men is many of them have been in bubbles. One pairing, and the same story over and over. In terms of Dante, I don't buy him all that much as a viable leading man, and I will never buy Steve as one, both because of Scott Reeves and because the character is just unpleasant.

The show seems to be shrugging at the deaths of Cole and Hope, so they may assume viewers feel the same way, since they have no clue who these characters are. It's about Sonny drama #243453 and about giving Michael a girlfriend.

Emma looks nice but she doesn't have enough charisma - I think that's why most of her primetime attempts have never worked out.

• Members

Wasn't FV/RC's OLTL just as dark? People crashing to their deaths through skylights? Drowning in frozen lakes? One of my personal "favorites" was watching OLTL runover from AMC while eating lunch... and watching Shaun get shot in a hail of bullets in front of Starr and her baby, with him laying in huge pool of blood. Needless to say, for my appetite's sake, I flipped to TeenNick.

I've always thought their OLTL rivaled JFP/Guza's GH in terms of being able to tell dark, violent stories full of sensational stunts... Just that nobody was watching that show to notice.

• Members

OLTL hid behind camp. They had a lot of ugly stuff but had some haha time to mask it. For instance, all of Jessica's rape and mental illness stories under RC/FV were treated as a joke, or as hot and sexy.

• Members

Emma Samms only success on GH was her pairing with who we now know was her real life love interest at the time Tristan Rogers.They were very sparkly and romantic. She's gorgeous but is still the most horrible actress not that that matters on GH. She has no chem with Geary. Both attempts at pairing them failed miserably and the less said about her stint on Dynasty the better.

• Members

Not only that but none of them really have presence or command of the screen as a lead should.

They should have brought Sean Kanaan back as AJ and rather than bringing OLTLERS in to shore up Jason and Sonny, I would have had the Hubbards move from Pine Valley to PC.You get Jessie as a cop. DW can be hammy but hes 100 times better than Easton, Angie and Frankie as doctors strengthens that side of the canvas like it hasn't been in years. Make Angie a friend of Monicas and give Monica some heart back. Get rid of Matt and put Frankie in a romance with Liz or even Lulu.

• Members

Indeed. She was no Pamela Sue Martin :)

I tuned in to GH to see the OLTLers debut, but didn't read up on any spoilers. Very surprised and disappointed that they would kill off Starr's daughter. Very unncecessary. Send her to boarding school like Lauren Fenmore did for Scotty when she crossed from Y&R to B&B.

• Members

I've never understood why, when they bring Samms back, they have never brought her back for what made her popular in the first place. Holly was never popular as a hardened con, or as lovesick over Luke.

As for this past week of GH, I think it was mixed.

The good -

Some of the mourning of Robin's death. The scenes with Maxie, Epiphany/Patrick, Anna/Luke, Robert.

Friday's show making Luke less of a joke, and Tony Geary giving a multi-layered, quiet performance. His work with Finola Hughes was commendable.

Blair's entrance on Friday - she fit in well as a confused, scared, and angry mother. There were no "fun" fights or bickering or any of that.

Making Helena a more viable threat, at least on paper and throught CT's performance.

• Members

The OK -

Most of the mourning for Robin. The Anna scenes have almost entirely been spoilt by poor editing and bloodless writing.

Setting up Michael's connection to Starr. If Starr were a stranger - which she is to most viewers - I would say her intro has been palatable. Not her partner and child going off a cliff, but in Michael trying to save her and feeling a bond with her. For fans who are interested in Michael, and who want to see him move beyond Sonny Lite, then this might be a breath of fresh air.

Building up interest in Kate's story. I don't care about this woman, aside from having too high of a forehead, but a "crazy" story always seems to get attention, and that seems to be what they are doing.

Archived