The Madonna Thread

YRBB

• Replies 577
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

These articles have been great, as the debut album often gets little attention since she's gone on to do so much since.

These types of articles wouldn't be popping up for just any pop star - in fact, what would pop music over the past 30 years be had there not been a Madonna? It all started with this debut, which I might add, is far superior to the album that solidified her as a superstar (the follow-up, Like A Virgin).

• Members

The top 3 picks are often the albums that get the most recognition from her diehard fans, so I'm not surprised by that.

And I personally do agree, the Like A Prayer album was her best work. I think that whole Like a Prayer/Blonde Ambition era solidified her as a pop cultural icon and solidified her as the premiere female pop artist of her era.

Edited by Y&RWorldTurner

• 3 months later...
  • Members

I know right.

In fact it was 30 years ago next month that I first heard Holiday played on the radio.

I was just a little boy and not only did I think she was black but that "Madonna" was a group of black female singers since they were all the rage in the early-1980's (Sister Sledge, Pointer Sisters, etc.). It wasn't until May of 1984, while watching MTV, and seeing the Borderline video, that I realized she was a petite white singer girl.

God bless the Queen!

• Members

Interesting that you said this considering it's only in hindsight that Madonna's debut album is considered so highly. Originally it was Cyndi Lauper who ended up getting most of the critical and commercial recognition and had the bigger debut and initial impact. LAV was the album that really turned things in her favor and started capitalizing her as a star and cultivating her initial power as a celebrity. I think that album is much bigger and more significant than her debut for that reason alone.

I've always found Like A Prayer to be overrated as an album. Ray Of Light as the epiphany album always held more weight with me as a listener. True Blue was also an easier listen and is defined as Madonna's most successful album commercially speaking apart from her first greatest hits record. I didn't think Erotica was considered to be that great an album with fans. Erotica and Bedtime Stories often feel like the forgotten albums in Madonna's catalog, the step children of her music career.

Edited by Skin

• 3 months later...
  • Members

25 years since the Like A Prayer Pepsi/video controversy, which seems like nothing today by today's standards.

I think Like A Prayer (the song) stands as her best single release ever. It's probably the one Madonna song everyone seems to love, as mentioned in this Slant article.

Through the Years: Madonna’s "Like a Prayer" at 25

Flashback: Madonna Premiered Controversial 'Like a Prayer' Pepsi Ad 25 Years Ago

The late 80's/early 90's is definitely my favourite Madonna era.

Edited by BetterForgotten

• 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • Members

Madonna's new album, Rebel Heart, out on March 20, 2015! :D

Madonna_-_Rebel_Heart_%28Official_Album_

The album cover is a lot of fun & I can't wait to listen to the songs that have been released on iTunes.

She's certainly disappointed me with a few of her recent albums but I'm still hoping the next outing is good!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...