TV Guide: Could 'GH' Move to Primetime?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

This would never work. Who knows if the show would ever get a satisfying ending not knowing if they were returning the next summer and it definitely won't work if it's not promoted. But if it did work hopefully it would entice them to do it with AMC and OLTL.

• Members

I'm really iffy about this actually working or if they would even do it.

The only thing I can say is its worth a shot and if works or doesn't work we can't say they didn't try.

I still think that ABC needs to make the smart decision and keep the show in daytime for now and knock down their replacements to 30 minute shows.

My problem with this is that America might not be ready for Telenovela style just yet in prime time but if promoted the right way it might work. GH has to catch fire first like OLTL did so that their daytime viewers watch it and hopefully add viewers to it.

If this ends up working they should allow GH to move to another network permanently and air nightly like that.

• Members

This would work for GH due to its mob theme. With the higher budget they could do more justice to their action sequences. I have always thought the answer to daytime soaps problems is to become nighttime soaps. In the UK Easterenders still pulls in a good audience. When they had the strike a few years ago that was a perfect opportunity to run a soap at night, and anything is better than the reality crap they run now. It's cheap, it fills up a lot of hours a week, and if they made the effort to write decent stories there is no reason why it couldn't succeed at night. They probably would need to add a mystery to it to keep people tuning and they would need to sideline Maurice Benard because he will look ridiculous doing his Al Pacino impersonation. It would be a perfect vehicle for Constance Towers though. They would just need to come up with a story where she could strut her stuff. Emma Samms too, as she is a name people know and don't feel stupid because they know who she is. Those are the two I would base it on anyway. Then you add in some younger people who can take their clothes off, Luke and Laura for the old GH fans, and Kelly Monaco and Vanessa Marcil.

• Members

Mob themes are passe.But if they did this they'd either need to hire someone good which is much of the reason the Sopranos worked or invest hugely in production which is the only reason a show like Hawaii 5-O works. Summer isn't filled with much on nw tv so it might not be a bad idea as summer filler

• Members

Probably because it was done during the normally viewer heavy winter I think and was kind of flat ratingswise. Now as primetime summer filler where ratings don't seem to matter as much it might fit. Didn't ABC buy into airing a couple of Canadian shows that did well for them over the summer. Rookie Blue comes to mind. I also kind of wonder about Being Erica which I thought did well for Soapnet

• Members

If they want summer filler they can get something much cheaper, like all the reality shows they've tried over the years.

I think this show just wouldn't work with any of the current stars or writers. I'm actually surprised this is even being considered. I wonder if this is Frons trying to help his friends out. Isn't he still at ABC?

Archived