One Life to Live~Thursday, 01.12.12

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

So I finally caught up with OLTL for the day. Like so many of you, I will not be working tomorrow (I don't ever work on Fridays anyways because of my heavy travel schedule).

I want to start by saying that now it feels like Finale week. The emotion was definitely there today... I felt like a chapte was closing. There was so much "good" in this episode.

What I liked:

1) Vicki's Speech: Other than the fact that this entire episode was so meta-, Vicki's speech really wrapped up everything I and so many viewers feel about the soap genre. It is about seeing families, their struggles in their day to day lives, and knowing that there is always a tomorrow to tune into this community of friends and familiar faces that many of us know as well as our families. I loved how well directed the whole scene was, where Vicki's words coincided with a character vignette; some that were obvious, and some that were a nod that only long-time fans would know. Slezak was saying everything that we soap fans are feeling today... it was just perfect.

"There is only one thing we have to do to keep them in our lives... tune in tomorrow." Oh Ms. Slezak, if only this were true.

2) The Families: Finally, we are getting those rare soap moments were entire families are gathered together. It's all about the families for me. I also loved the mentions of all the family members who were not in town. So often, writers shy away from mentions about characters off canvas, so as to almost have the viewer forget that they miss their vets.

3) Agnes Dixon: This role was a great way for Agnes to make a well-deserved cameo, and also gave this great creator the opportunity for closure with the fans. Though scripted, it really felt like she was speaking from the heart.

The bad:

1) The Shaun/Viv scenes furthur exasperated my frustrations with yesterday's epsiode. Why spend a whole show with the Shaun/Viv break-up, only to put them back together again. This story is an island, which we can all agree is the sign of bad soap writing.

2) Missing vets: Rather than the plethora of short-term recurring players, I would have loved more veteran cameos. Joey, Kevin, Cord, Tina, Cassie, Andrew... the list goes on for the 1 or 2 family members that would have filled in the rosters at the family gatherings.

3) Lack of Flashbacks: 'Nuff said.

This episode passed the tear test; I hope to be bawling tomorrow afternoon with the rest of you all.

• Members

Such a sad experience. I find myself listening to this theme all week

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/HuLK1cKZ_a4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Thinking about OLTL. The first thing that pops into my head (and this is weird) is Deliah and Grayson Hall (Euphemia?) in that run down southern mansion like characters from Interview with The Vampire. And that leads to my next memory of Delilah's last scen singing "The Lady is a Tramp". I guess Delilah meant a lot to me because I just will never forget Delilah, hostage, trying to convince Rafe it was her on the phone.

I hate ABC for what they've done to the soaps, and I am happy that coincidentally I don't watch a single show on their network.

• Members

Well, I suppose there's no better time than now for me to tell you this.

Cheap...

I'm your boss. Don't bother coming in on Monday.

tumblr_lotp44C3rn1ql5l11o1_500.gif

tumblr_lill4s3qUh1qfs2hbo1_500.gif

But seriously, it's been so much fun hanging out with All My Hoes to Live midday for the past few years. It took some of the edge off of the pain of loss. I will miss it. I will miss you. Ho-toshop Ho, Cheap, My Bro from a Diff'rent Ho, All My Shadows, Soap Opera Encycl-HO-pedia, Carl, Twitter Stalking Ho, alexisfan, #OLTL Google alert Ho, Scotty, Roger's Ho-warth, dragonflies, Cat Hickland's sloppy seconds Ho, weareclouds, 80 proof Ho, SoapBoy, Maple leaf Ho, Eric... as AMS would say, you are All My Redheaded Stepchildren ... xo -SFK

• Members

Question: The poem that the Roxy and others were doing at the Buchanan mansion for Fraternity Row was that part of something Agnes wrote years ago explaining OLTL or something new. It sounded like a soap opera epigraph like "You are all my children..."

• Members

It was extremely odd to see all those people in the Buchanan mansion to watch Fraternity Row other than Nigel. Yes I know Rex lives there, but still odd. Until Nora and Bo showed up I was absolutely puzzled. While I appreciated the Asa comments, it was strange seeing that group of people together where it would have almost made more sense for them to be at the hair salon or a diner.

&n

Archived