One Life to Live~Thursday, 01.12.12

• Members

I finally watched Thursday's episode.

I agree with everyone about how moving Viki's speech was - it was really perfect, speaking of the best of soap opera and what soap means. This worked both for the character and for a meta statement. The cutaways to everyone reacting was also beautifully done. Something tells me that when I think of OLTL's end I will think of this scene.

I go on, and on, and on, about Rex and Gigi, but I thought their goodbye worked well - low-key, and believable. I'm sorry that Shane and Clint didn't get more of a chance to interact. I'm glad a lot of the focus was on Roxy, and the usual scenes of a bored Bo encouraging Rex as he makes twitchy face was relatively short.

Tuc Watkins still has the comic timing of a bad Gallagher routine, but I did laugh at the chipmunk tattoo jokes. The rest I wasn't that compelled by, mostly because David treats Dorian like crap and I don't care about him as the moral authority.

Very nice, honest scenes with Vivian and Shaun. And I enjoyed seeing Vimal and Rama the last time...such great supporting characters (especially Vimal).

I still don't get why Fraternity Row always had to be presented as a bad parody, and anyone who watched was a bad parody of a soap fan. I think this somewhat undercut the power of Viki's speech, and the comments from "Agnes Dixon" about how you have a show with AIDS and angels. All they've ever told us about Fraternity Row is Soapdish on steroids. It comes across to me as RC again hiding behind camp whether it works or not.

Nice to see Addie one last time. She looked kind of disheveled. I hope PPW is doing OK.

This whole "good Tea and John bust evil Todd" is paper thin and just makes the characters look even more one-dimensional than usual. Tomas must be one of the most inconsistently written characters ever.

Jerry ver Dorn has such blue eyes.

The last Todd/Blair scene was nice.

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I forgot to say I did start to get into David's speech to Matthew, until he went on about no one would want to be around Matthew, least of all David. I think it's a cheap tactic to use on someone as self-loathing as Matthew. Considering that David's brotherly support has amounted to hiring prostitutes, I wish they'd left that role to someone else.

Loved the photo of Asa being included, watching over everyone.

The best part of Viki's speech was when she said people come up to her and ask her when Ruby is coming back, and when watching the show, she sometimes wonders the same thing herself. That was a beautiful line.

• Members

I just realized, there was no resolution of Rama's little pregnancy comment. I totally expected her to find out she was pregnant in the finale or something. Maybe that was set to be a PP story too? Though I think I read something about Shenaz being unsure of whether or not she'd continue cause she wanted to do Bollywood stuff too.

• Members

Oy I'm done catching up with Thursday's thread and now about to embark on the finale thread... It seems redundent to posthere, but I completely agree. I guess it's the fact that now I've lost both soaps--and pretty much any chance of a PP future (OK strike pretty much, I don't see any chance). Damn my net connection for breaking down all weekend long, but will said.

You know normally I'd agree with your comments about RC and this but in this case I didn't really see it as mean spirited at all--I get why some did, but I thought it was a nice little mention lol. Oh well.

• Members

... I need to give this up but she actually has pretty decent proof considering what French-dude (Camal?) said and his reaction... But I know from here nad your AMC thread you tend to get blinded by characters ;)

Anyway I agree with everyone else that the speeches done by Agnes and Vicki were perfect (we know Agfnes Nixon ghost wrote those right ;) ), and a nice aside to audiences. While I think Renee should have been there for the Asa bit (and am mad she wasn't on Friday either), otherwise I thought it was pretty much a great penultimate episode and better than I expected we'd get. (I wasn't even annoyed by a bit of focus on Shawn/Viv--thank God she didn't suddenly decide to marry him as frankly I expected her to).

Archived