Y&R/AMC: Darnell Williams Moves To Genoa City

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Y&R has already had an AMC invasion. I don't know how much worse it can get. With this I don't like it because he's black and although they ARE making an effort with the Devon story, it still hasn't translated into much for Debbi Morgan. Ratings actually spiked when she arrived, but she wasn't featured for the next month and still hasn't had anything substaintial to do. With Darnell, this MIGHT be a good idea if we knew they would feature the black characters, but this will die down soon.

I just wonder when they're going to give some attention to Y&R's true black stars. Kristoff St. John, Victoria Rowell, Tonya Lee Williams and popular upstarts like Angell Conwell and Tatyana Ali should be getting the main stories since they've proven themselves with Y&R's audience already.

• Members

Hm, I don't really watch Y&R, but it seems to me that as far as the "black storyline" goes, they're trying to dazzle with a bunch of baby's breath in the absence of the rose, Victoria Rowell. Morgan and Williams are no slouches, but they are Jesse and Angie for all intents and purposes. Just as Courtney and Reinholt were Alice and Steve, Dano, Felicia. They may be welcome additions but their presence won't pack quite the punch that the return of Rowell would. Especially if the writing is doo-doo as you guys are saying.

• Members

I do think a problem with Harmony is a lack of viable love interests. She has GREAT chemistry with Bryton, but I'm not seeing romantic chemistry. Nothing with Stephen Nichols or Kristoff St. John. Beyond that she hasn't really been tested, but I'm not sure I can guess who might be a good choice. Then with Darnell, you don't want to put them together because of the Angie/Jesse connection.

• Members

At this point Y&R has nothing to lose - they may as well put Darnell and Debbi together again. The problem is Y&R does not write for black characters and the show already has a hierarchy of overexposed characters. Debbi and Darnell would be lucky to have one day a week.

Archived