DAYS: December Discussion Thread

• Members

You make it sound really good, but I wonder if the writers are actually thinking as you do. So far, they've done several things rather stupidly and off-key as far as OTHER stories are concerned, so we'll see if they're gonna do Will's storyline justice or not. I still don't quite understand what him catching mommy and EJ having pig sex has to do with his own issues though. It's nothing but a setup for what's to come between Will/EJ I think.

• Replies 406
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I don't see it as that cut and dry at all. The show isn't at all saying that "being gay" has "turned" Will into a "bad person" NOR that he would be a "wonderful person" if not for Sami and her non-mothering ways. Will's "turning out" like this, because he's not ready to admit to himself that he's gay and he's lashing out at someone who's an easy target: his momma.

• Members

I'm not sure what the show is saying. Will has dealt with much worse than this from Sami over the years, and didn't have these binge-drinking rages that terrify everyone around him. The whole thing just comes across to me as melodrama over character. So either his being gay has turned him into this headcase or history has now been rewritten to make Will's experiences with Sami and his views on Sami/Rafe much rosier than I remember them being.

• Members

I happened to tune in to the show today just as Will dropped that "I guess I'm a son of a bitch" line (LOL) and then was pleasantly surprised to see the Horton Ornaments early this year... then saw Melanie and Daniel putting ornaments on the tree and I just about spit my lunch out at the TV. Ugh. Horrible.

• Members

I'm sorry, but I wasn't expecting Will to just completely accept his homosexuality like it's nothing out of the ordinary. There's going to be some sort of drama from him about it, because of how accepting Sonny's (and his own family is) about his own sexuality. There wouldn't be any story, if Will just went "Oh well, I'm gay" and started happy families with Sonny. I also don't think they're rewritting Will's experiences with Sami. Sami's a selfish and terrible mother. She's always been about herself, regardless of how many children she gives birth to on the show. Why wouldn't Will end up lashing out at her? I think he would do it if he was straight.

What are you looking for in how Will's written/portrayed in this storyline of his, if I may ask?

• Members

I wasn't expecting that either. I think there's a big difference between Will struggling with being gay, being upset and angry and confused, or even hating himself, and suddenly going around trashing everything, boozing, and being an ass. He's had these thoughts for a while and I don't believe that he would suddenly go into meltdown mode solely because he saw EJ and Sami having sex.

I just don't buy that Will would be this furious or devastated because Sami screwed up when she thought her son was dead. Sami has done stupid things over and over, far worse than this. Even with EJ, she's done dumber things than this. What would the fallout of this even be, even if Sami lost Rafe (which I doubt she would, since he's forgiven her for worse)? Why are Sami and EJ put into the roles of Marlena and John? Does any of that enhance this story? Does it make any sense at all?

What I'm looking for in this is that they set up a basic characterization for Will and tell a story that is about Will. I don't care about "happy families" with Sonny - I could not care less about seeing Will in a romance, or any gay soap character in a romance. It's pointless. I just want to feel like I'm watching a recognizable character, in a story that is about them. Not all kinds of tantrums based on some writer trying to be clever and recycling a story from 1993 and shoehorning the Sami and Will of 2011 into that.

As for a contrast with Sonny, I don't think the show has done a great job of this, because Sonny is barely even a character. His relationship with his family is unexplored and he just seems like a token of a token.

• Members

Well, I don't know if you're ever going to be satisfied with what this particular show has in store for Will and how he's portrayed in dealing with accepting his sexuality. As you stated before, Will's had these thoughts before and it took the show over 6 months to start having him portray his struggles now. It does make sense that he's focusing on Sami and her (literally) screw ups in her life (and her men), in order to not deal with his own issues about denying his sexuality and Gaby, but that's just me.

At least he's not going around beating up the men he sleeps with, because "that's what men do with each other" like Brendan on Hollyoaks.

• Members

I guess I'm not sure if it's been any type of gradual struggle. I think it's mostly just been occasional glimpses and not much else. Only when we got this Sami/EJ thing did he start becoming out of control. That's why I think it's just melodrama and not about the characters. But we can agree to disagree.

• Members

DAYS so needs to, as a part of this Will Gone Wild story, have him break into his Aunt Jenn's house and smash Mel and Daniel's ornaments. Hated that the show gave those two ornaments.

Liking the Will Gone Wild story and him getting drunk and calling out his mom.

• Members

That's how I see it too. I see Will Going Wild as having less to do with his sexuality and more to do with his confronting how terrible Sami has been as a mother. She's been a dreadful, selfish, awful mother his entire life. And now he's becoming an adult. He's facing two things with adulthood: his sexuality and his role as a 'son'...this storyline makes perfect sense to me.

And I know I sound like a broken record here, but Kate NEEDS to be involved in this storyline. She has been Will's fiercest defender from day one. Kate's like that with children generally (ie Johnny, Theo, Ali, Parker) and I think that side of her is absolutely necessary.

And while we're at it...I would like to see Chad struggle with Chad and Sonny. Like, maybe he's bi? Maybe he's just struggling to figure out how to be an ally? How to support without becoming too involved? I don't really know what I want to articulate, but I think Chad remains an untapped resource in this narrative as the "straight friend who doesn't react badly"...anyone?

• Members

<p>I love Magic, and while not pleased really don't have a problem with Mel/Dan suddenly being related by blood.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>BUT….</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Mel and Dan do not deserve Horton ornaments. I can see Victor getting one as a welcome gift from the family that considers Maggie their own, but unless married to one, Dan and Melanie are not &quot;Hortons&quot; and never will be. They aren't children who need to be made to feel part of the family. Others have attended the Horton Tree Trimming without receiving a curtesy ornament. </p>

<p> </p>

<p>The more this new regime writes, the more I hate it.</p>

<div id="myEventWatcherDiv" style="display:none;"> </div>

Archived