DAYS: November Discussion Thread

• Administrator

Wow, those EJ/Nicole scenes today were so good. "This moth has been burned too many times by getting close to the fire." And then the last scene - EJ signs his name on the first page of the divorce papers, then the 2nd page, then 3rd and when he gets to the last page, he hesitates....Nicole is watching, almost in tears....and when EJ does sign his name, tears start to flow from Nicole's eyes. That was good writing and directing.

I noticed that even though the storylines aren't as exciting, we're getting better scenes, and long scenes. I also noticed that there's better interaction between characters and the family connections is a lot better too. The show feels whole, it feels like it's a community again, where as the last 3 years it felt like there was half a show. All the ingredients are there for the show to be great again, I see that. I just hope M&D can find their groove and tweak a couple of things.

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Things definitely feel like they're picking up, from my vantage point. I like the vibe of it, and it's starting to feel like there are actual stories with action taking place, rather than characters wandering about reinforcing their relationships and referencing the past. I've appreciated this mini-arc with Brady and John, and Madison's function in it has been nice. And the EJ/Nicole stuff has been much, much stronger than I expected -- I was furious when I saw they were going to sleep together again, but this actually feels like a way of achieving character growth rather than spinning them in circles.

• Members

The characters have some direction. They have some definition to them. That is nice. The interactions and scenes are nice. The dialogue is better.

The show as a whole is a bore. I would rather HATE and watch it than be ehhh, this is a bore... and not watch it.

That said, i am VERY hopeful. This is it tho for me. Nov. Make it or break it month.

• Members

I agree that family connections are stronger and the scenes are better written. I also like the choice of characters who've come back, but the stories SUCK. Boring and just plain stupid. Things like Daniel as Maggie's son is silly and there was no mystery and no story to come from it. I hope it's a misdirection. This stuff with EJ running for Mayor is snoozeworthy, same with John and Marlena's story. I will say John and Marlena seem hopeless. Just the most boring couple on earth.

One huge shock for me is how much I LOVE Sami now. It's like an instant change. I like that she doesn't seem like the golden child anymore and is back to being an underdog. She's the one character that hooked me on DAYS (when she couldn't speak and wore the scarves around her neck lol) so it's nice to enjoy her again. I've also never cared about Carrie or Christie Clark, but I LOVE her this time. The group of Rafe/Carrie/Austin/Sami is what I most look forward to watching.

Another thing that will never change is that I still hate Bo and Hope. Useless. I LOVE Lexie and I hope she does something. Jennifer is still one note and will never grow and I want to know more of Madison's backstory.

Let's just hope this potential pays off.

• Members

Yay to Austin mentioning Billie and Chelsea!

So Stefano and the Dimeras are really behind John's problems? I am HIGHLY dissapointed. I was hoping for something a bit less predictable. It doesnt really make much sense especially since John was long gone from Salem and Stefano had moved on in a different direction. Is eh realyl that obsessed with John that he needed to create some elaborate scheme to get him back to town so he could torment he and Marlena all over again? The Stefano character just took several steps backward. Oh and so much for EJ trying to redeem himself

How in the hell did they lose Johnny? That made no sense to me

• Members

The Victor/Maggie wedding was so disappointing. A wedding occasion that small and simple could've easily been delayed a day. C'mon now... The "snowstorm" was also ridiculous. I suppose we should be grateful they actually used a slight sound effect of the blustering wind outside. Sorry I'm a debbie downer, but visually speaking (and audio-wise), this show looks terrible. Just one notch higher than GL's Main Street / Beacon Hotel debacle.

From an outsider's perspective, my significant other used to watch DAYS from time to time with me, even knew nearly every character's name. He knew about the big "re-set" / 2.0 / "reboot", etc. Here it is a month and a half later and he hasn't watched it with me once since the "reboot" week. I finally asked him yesterday why he doesn't watch, and his response was that it still looks the same. I guess he was figuring the new set and the "reboot" would spark the start of better production values. He notes that OLTL, Y&R, and B&B all look realistic, but that DAYS looks like a highschool play (geez, isn't that what we all said of GL during its final years?). Just an outsider's perspective, but it's interesting that he says the same thing that us regular viewers are saying.

I mean really, what tree has EVERY color of the rainbow on its branches during the autumn? Trees usually turn one consistent color, or there's a gradual change, like a red on top that fades to green on bottom. DAYS' world is just too plastic. End of poor production values rant. :)

• Administrator

Stefano didn't know anything about it. EJ planned everything on his own. That's why Stefano was so proud of EJ.

LOL Agreed. I enjoyed the shoot out though, except Roman constantly yelling, "GET DOWN!! GET DOWN!!" Loved the family interactions at the Pub, and Austin/Bo interacting.

• Administrator

The productions are lot better now than it was for the last 3 years. I think Noel Maxam has done a great job. Like today, we saw the "4th wall" (where the cameras would be) of the Brady Pub which we never saw before. They put up a glass window for where the sniper was shooting at. The pier scenes at night are better too - now there's fog. Also, the directors are using different angles now where as before it was just static shots with little camera movement. The other day, we got an angle of the Dimera Mansion that we've never seen before - the shot was from the fireplace, so we the front door. And we're getting overhead shots now too - like when EJ/Nicole were dancing at Chez Rouge, and we got an overhead shot of the Pub today (again another first) during the shootout. Another cool production aspect today was the location of the sniper. It was very dark and there was one light source, so there was a lot of shadows.

• Administrator

Gary Tomlin is my boy and all, but even I have to admit, it didn't seem like he was trying hard enough with the production values. At least with Noel Maxam, he's trying new stuff and letting his directors move the camera. Oh I forgot to mention, there was also the Y&R-camera-move today where the camera starts on one side of a scene and moves across a set piece - today it was during a Jen/Hope scene, so the camera is on the left and it moves to the right and the set piece is in the foreground.

• Members

I forgot how much more I prefer Eric's Brady with Drake over Kyle's.

Good to see Madison interacting with more characters. I really do see potential for this to be a great role for SJB.

It still makes me feel weird whenever I see John and Roman all buddy buddy.

• Members

I'm on my iPod so it's hard for me to edit my posts...

I do like that Stefano had no part in this. And the assassin shots were pretty good. I do wish as Ive said before they wouldn't ignore John's new familial ties.

Chandler and Deidre are golden together. Was he Will when Marlena left or was it the other one who I actually thought was quite good during Grace's death, particularly in a scene with Kate.

Archived