Executive Producers who don't get their credit

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I believe James was fired--she pretty much went right from The City when it was canceled to AMC from my memory. At the time people wondered if that meant she'd bring any of The City's style over, but she didn't. I think James lacked some vision or control--though her quote about what Pine valley was and wasn't was spot on--I believe AMC EPs were starting to lose control around that time, so it's hard to fairly judge her run for me. Same with Burke, though I don't think JHC was an improvement at all (and the fact JHC was kept throughout Frons' run, despite writers coming and going, etc, seems to prove that Frons did much of that role himself.)

• Members

sorry eric james didnt come from THE CITY. that was burke, who i thought did a wonderful job at amc! imo! james was brought on after behr and she kept the show going (softly) maybe thats what AMC wasn't looking for but as a vewier i loved it! it seemed thats what her and broderick were going for(riche&labine gh) and i LOVED it!

• Members

Sorry I meant that Burke came in pretty soon after The City ended to replace her--I left Burke's name out, so I see how I sounded off. ANd yeah I think James and Broderick were going for a bit lower key, which I liked. It is ironic that Behr reportedly got McTavish fired when ratings started to slip and McTavish's stories started going a bit wacko, and reportedly hired Broderick--and then soon after as ratings still were falling ABC fired Behr...

• Members

Behr at GL makes so much more sense than at ATWT, which she wrecked in no short order.

Luna Moody as Connor Walsh?

Allison Rice Taylor should have been brought back the second she left. I LOVED her Connor.

I don't know but add Gary Tomlin to my list. Underappreciated and always lightens and brightens up a soap. VERY underrated IMO.

I'm gonna get eggs thrown at me, but I don't feel Chris Goutman gets his due. He brought AW back like no other and bought ATWT about 9 years.

Some More:

Al Rabin

John Conboy

Mary Ellis Bunim

Wendy Riche (sorta kinda. Everyone laudes the Labines so much I feel she is oft forgotten as the other real part of that team)

Linda Gottlieb

Charlotte Savitz. I think. Yah, marginable, but I think she's better than she gets credit for.

Can't believe I'm throwing this out there but Brad Bell.

• Members

didn't gottlieb get alot of credit? i seem to remember after her leaving, people complaining that OLTL just fell apart! i wonder what it would have been like had she left and went to another show if she would have done her magic twice?

• Members

If I correct I read in a story somewhere that H. Wesley Kenny left Sunset Beach before it aired due to conflicts over the stories the show would air. There seemed to be creative differences happening and he just decided to leave and retire from producing.

• Members

I remember that too. I remember an interview he did sometime in spring or summer 1996 and he talked about the show that SuBe would become, and he described it as kids living together on a beach, basically. That isn't quite what it turned out to be.

• Members

I always wondered about SB. I mean Josh Griffith is listed as a creator, but he never was on the writing team, was he? Teh show definitely set out to be more primetime and a lot less campy/self aware its first few weeks (months?)

Right and it did have all those young people in the beach house or whatever, or hanging in the cyber cafe--some (liek the asian doctor) who were written out. And of course he "film" look and tons of location shots which were dispensed with too.

• Members

If I remember correctly, the house that they lived in was called "Surf Central". It was always a part of the show, but the longer that it went on, the more families were built. (The Cummings & Torres familys most notably).

The asian doctor was Rae Chang, played by Kelly Hu. They got rid of the "film" look after the revamp that happened 6 months into the run. They ran a week of repeats (each one dealing with one major character and telling us their entire story for the first 6 months of the show), and when they came back it turned into the hilariously campy funfest that it was known for. I believe that Josh Griffith was one of the headwriters for that first 6 months, but I am not sure.

Damn, I forgot how much I loved that show, I am going to have to watch some episodes soon.

Archived