B&B: Old/Classic Discussion & Articles

• Members

My "stacks" are by character names.  Most of them are from credit crawls post 2000.  Earlier B&B names are from crawls I saw or the mags I used to keep track of B&B. That and keeping an eye on videos now that pop up on Youtube. There were a few a while back that I couldn't identify, and I've been hunting for a few characters. Dr. Cameron, Juanita the pregnant worker in the sewing room, Ramone, Rocco's buddy, and Roberta from the Design Academy (all from the first book) are the four I've been hunting for for years.

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

B&B was never as serious as Y&R. Y&R has drama while B&B had melodrama, but damn, when it had it, it was great.

Stephanie vs Margo was an element we'd not seen in a Bell soap before. Margo wasn't quite a rival for Stephanie over Eric, but she took a shot at her every time she possibly could. Margo was a long suffering anti-heroine. 

Losing Darlene Conley was a bigger blow than I think anyone realized. Darlene's last year or two on the show weren't particularly memorable as she'd experienced some ill health and took time off, so there may have been a feeling that they'd transitioned out of the need for the Spectras and into the Marones (how wrong they were, Lesley Anne Down had nothing on Darlene). To me, Sally Spectra was what made B&B unique. No other character like her and she was a universe unto herself on the show. 

Losing Susan Flannery to retirement was always going to hurt the show, but I think it hurt it less than Darlene because there were other ways to source conflict on the show aside from Stephanie Forrester. While Stephanie could not be replaced, the 'space' Stephanie occupied could at least she filled by other characters. However, from an acting/talent perspective, losing Flannery really undermined B&B's credibility. 

• Members

Many B&B viewers (myself included at one time) point to the crossovers as the turning point but it really was the arrival of Sally Spectra. Building a business and family around her breathed new life into a show that started out as pretty much a clone of 1970s Y&R.