B&B: Old/Classic Discussion & Articles

• Members

Does anyone remember soap gossip from back then. Was Jeff Trachta already his music career? Y&R's Michael Damian was on Broadway in 1994 in JOSEPH, right? Jeff Trachta did GREASE in 1996 which they did incorporate in the show, but I wodner if he had some musical engagements before or whether he was really shipped off for storyline purposes.

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

From what I have managed to find, 1994 was when Jeff Trachta and Bobbie Eakes did their first album together (which became a hit in the Netherlands, cue the Rotterdam storyline). But that still doesn't explain his absence because like I said, Macy was heavily involved in storylines at the time (and actually worked quite well as a standalone character without Thorne). So my guess is it actually was for plot purposes. After all, they did ship Brooke off to Paris with him too for a while, and Thorne did have occasional scenes from "Paris" so he wasn't entirely absent.

But Thorne has always been a character who periodically loses momentum. That is why I think pairing him up with a supporting character like Darla (as much as I adore her) was the kiss of death for him.

• Members

Speaking of Thorne, with Winsor he has always been one of my favorite characters since I started the show. As a child I don't recall liking Jeff in the role and I hated the singing. Now that I'm watching it from the beginning I feel like Jeff is my favorite and I actually find myself loving the singing between him and Macy. I typically don't like singing on soaps, but they have such good chemistry and Jeff is great in the role. Clayton was the best looking Thorne, but I feel like his acting was limited. It's disappointing to hear Jeff fizzled out as Thorne, but that's typical of Brad when he loses interest in someone.

• Members

I have to say Jeff was also my favorite Thorne, much because of his natural chemistry with Macy, in combination with the subtle sense of humor he brought to the character (not unlike the type of humor Susan Flannery brought to Stephanie). I also liked Clayton (although I agree that his acting was somewhat limited) but found it harder to warm up to Winsor's take on the role (he always seemed too "macho" for the role of Thorne whereas both Clayton and Jeff had a certain softness to their portrayal). Ingo I don't even count as a real Thorne. His stint was too short and too jarringly OOC.

As for Thorne and Macy's singing, I loved it as a child, and rewatching it now I still feel the same because they really do sound good together (not all good voices actually blend well but theirs do, probably because his is high and hers is low, so they are almost in the same vocal range and similar in sound). They strike me as being actual "real" singers, rather than just "singing soap actors", and it does make a difference.

• Members

I'm watching 1994 right now and it feels kind of strange to me. I can't really explain it. The show's not boring me but at the same time, it's also feels like nothing is moving me. 

James and his Daddy issues, Karen and Connor's sex life, Sally's feelings for Anthony. All this stuff is happening and I just don't care.

• Members

I was just about to chime in: @AbcNbc247- at what episode are you at the moment?

I have also basically zero memories of early 1994, but as soon as Kim Brown is back from her maternity leave things should heat up considerably. I'm curious whether Taylor's death will work for me slightly as good as the first time around knowing that it is, well, a fake-out. Fall 1994 should be dynamite with Morroco. 

• Members

Yeah, I remember the year from mid 1994 (once the Morocco storyline started) to mid 1995 as some of the best B&B has ever been. I have been looking forward to seeing that particular time period of B&B for many years! I just hope the issues with the Vault will be fixed because we're currently right at the doorstep of Taylor's death storyline.

I am also curious how the whole Jessica/Dylan storyline will hold up because I have virtually no memories of it. It will be a bit peculiar seeing Ivana whenever she comes on the show though, now knowing what her fate will eventually be.

Edited by Videnbas

• Members

I'm up to date with the vault episodes and have also been feeling a lot of "meh" about 1994, though Kimberlin Brown has literally just returned from maternity leave and Taylor is preparing for her trip...

When B&B started over here in 1997, the episodes were from mid-point in 1994. I was only 12 so don't remember exactly what point it was picked up but I do remember Morocco being in full swing and the Ridge/Brooke wedding occurring fairly early on. It's going to be a blast to (hopefully!) rewatch the very first era of B&B I ever saw and see how it holds up. I distinctly remember the Sheila/Connor story and having watched up to this point, have no idea how the show gets to that pairing!