B&B: Old/Classic Discussion & Articles

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I am not quite sure how to answer that. If by B storyline male you mean any male who isn't Eric or Ridge, then, yeah. (Back in the day I heard it described as the "Non-Forrester Male Syndrome", meaning all men who weren't Forresters tended to get backburnered and/or eventually written out.) As for insufferable, I'd say the "A storyline males" are often worse in that regard.

• Members

True - for the most part, the men on B&B tend to be supporting characters in the women's storylines. But it's the women who have most of the agency and whose point of view is usually explored. I still think there have been a fair amount of interesting male characters (and Clarke is definitely one of them) but they are rarely as "deep" or layered as the women and often fill a single plot function whereas the women are a lot more well-developed.

• Members

Ridge and Liam I'm Looking At You!!!

Please register in order to view this content

True, Nick Marone and Owen Knight was kinda The Same, of course Nick was a Sidekick for longer than one would expect 

Edited by Joseph

• Members

I enjoyed reading your thoughts tremendously. Thank you for taking the time to post it.

I find the "palindrome" point particularly fascinating. Wonder if that was deliberate. I tend to think they might have had a 2-year plan for Anthony - but the palindrome just happened.

Edited by Aback

• Members

Yes, I am not saying all of this was intentional - some of it may have been a consequence of simply the character being kept consistent enough that he had certain behaviors that he displayed more than once. And it's also possible that certain events that were not meant as foreshadowing at the time were remembered in later storylines and retroactively became foreshadowing. Nevertheless, it's pretty neat the way it turned out. At first I thought I might just be inventing patterns that weren't there, but then when very specific and fairly unusual plot points like "feigning grief as a morbid kind of flirting" or "scheming to see the girl naked by manipulating one's own design" happened twice, it did feel like a conscious choice (after all, this kind of foreshadowing/reintegration of past plot elements is very common in fiction). And of course the "bookend" symmetry between Anthony's first scenes and his last must have been deliberate as he even reminisced about the former during the latter.

• Members

I just looked at the May 2005 uncut episodes and compared them to the transcripts on TV megasite. I trimmed off some of Part 4 because it jumped from the May 24 episode to clips from April 13, 15, and 18 (Thomas and Gaby scenes only). So I cut out those April 13 scenes and uploaded as a partial episode (you uploaded April 15 and 18 already). Just FYI.

• Members

Considering the actor had finished up a 3 year stint playing the dark Lawerence on Days right before joining BB...there was some talk whether he was another Lawrence or a nice character.

In fact, critics in 1994 thought he was wasted because there seemed to be no direction with the character.  However I do agree that he was a dark character pretending not to be.  Leading Sally on then going to Macy when she's single thus causing mother/daughter angst.

Meanwhile, Ivana was moved out of the Dylan/Jessica orbit and paired with a newly single Thorne.  So maybe 1994 was a set up year for this tale to climax in 1995.