B&B: Old/Classic Discussion & Articles

• Members

I have actually tried while watching the classic episodes to make a list of birth years and birthdays as established or hinted at in dialogue during the early years (before SORASed kids came along and messed up the timeline):

Eric: around 1939?
Stephanie: around 1942?
James Warwick: June 29th, 1957
Ridge: January 28th, 1960
Thorne: 1961 or early 1962
Angela: December 1962
Taylor: Fall 1963
Storm: Fall 1963
Caroline: 1964
Kristen: 1964
Macy: October 23rd, 1965
Brooke: late 1965 or early 1966
Darla: Spring 1967 or 1968 (she and Clarke(?) couldn't agree on her age at her birthday party in 1992)
Felicia: 1968?
Donna: late 1968 or early 1969
Katie: Spring 1970

(I don't include the kids born on screen because their ages will never make sense.)

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Both Venice and Portofino/Camogli were beautiful! The clip of Thorne and Macy by the lighthouse was in Camogli, and the scene with the two of them standing on a bridge in the pouring rain was in Venice. Both those scenes were visually quite stunning.

Edited by Videnbas

• Members

The Venice location shoot was amazing. Gondola rides, a ludcrious chase at the Bell Tower, an amazing proposal and a stylish photo shoot on St. Mark's Square... The cast used was tighter than in Portofino but still broader than everything since (minus Syndey 2017). One reason why Portofino was far superior: they shot in Venice in December when clear skyes are rare and it didn't have such outdoor events like a fashion show AND a spectacular return... And if it weren't for B&B I might not have heard from Portofino ever - unlike Venice which one has seen before. Cut: Been to Portofino on vacation many years ago and am now desperate to stay Hotel Splendido (like the B&B cast did...) because it is all oh-so pretty.

• Members

Yes, a lot of drama packed into one episode!

I had forgotten just how much of Brooke's Forrester takeover was motivated by her desire for revenge against Stephanie. The whole office thing was nothing more than a power display, there was no other reason for it. And I like this version of Sheila - trying the best she can to play both sides so that she can ultimately gain something for herself.

(By the way, has Sheila's fantasy sequence about Forrester happened yet? It is GOLD! I don't remember which episode it was.)

And it is an interesting change of pace to see the normally so "soft" Thorne SCREAMING at Macy. I think the hospital scenes are the real payoff to the alcoholism storyline.

• Members

I think all of them are good. Possibly with the best being 1990 and 1993. But all of these years really have good writing and character development, as well as some great storylines. I don't think there are really any bad years in this early era of B&B.

1987 and 1988 have a different feel to the show from 1989 onwards, due to the introduction of Sally and her gang. I personally love the Spectra side of the show.

I think the next "shift" in the show was around 1997/1998 when Amber arrived (I didn't necessarily enjoy Amber, or at least not THAT much of her). But the show was still good, it just didn't have the "magic" of those early years.

Then there was another major shift in 2003 (with Nick and Jackie's introduction) and that's when I feel the show started going downhill.

My favorite era of the show is roughly 1989-1995.

Edited by Videnbas

• Members

That was exactly what I meant!

The first half of 1995, if I remember correctly, was phenomenal. I think it was probably the most action packed period in the history of the show, with Taylor returning from the dead and revealing herself to everyone, Sheila going completely insane with the dungeon and the goodbye party, and Ivana's murder storyline going on all at once.

Then all those storylines culminated and were resolved within a very short period of time, leaving very little momentum after the summer. I vaguely remember a D storyline involving a triangle between Jessica, Dylan and Maggie, but not much else.

That's why I remember when I watched the entire cast gathered at the Bikini for Thorne and Macy's 1995 wedding I felt almost like the show was ending. There was just nothing very significant left to resolve at that point. Sheila was behind bars, Anthony was behind bars, Ridge had picked a wife, there was a party going on involving every character of the show. I don't recall the show reaching such a natural "end point" before or since.

Edited by Videnbas

• Members

Right, the voice over did make it feel like the show was ending, I remember that now. (Although Stephanie giving Brooke away felt more like her resigning to the inevitable after being persuaded to attend, rather than Stephanie genuinely accepting Brooke.)

I never did warm up to Brooke and Thorne though - that pairing just left too much destruction in its wake and it was all kind of swept under the rug for their "happily ever after" wedding. So I'm glad the show didn't end with them being end game.

Edited by Videnbas

• Members

Good point - it really felt like a series finale type of episode with all the Logans from the show's premiere and some present.

I think a lot came down to one's personal perception of how much you were done with BRIDGE (after 10+ years of constant back and forth) to cheer for THROOKE

• Members

I think for me it was more the way the "happy series finale" type scenes in that episode with the voice over and rose petals falling romantically in slow motion were juxtaposed with scenes of a bitter heartbroken Sally over at Spectra. I loved Sally and the Spectras, and Throoke's happy wedding with everyone else celebrating felt kind of like the show was twisting the knife in Sally's heart, while painting her as the unreasonable one for not rejoicing with the others.

Edited by Videnbas

• Members

I am just rewatching the 2010-2011 season. It really feels like the last classic season with all the SF, RM and all classic  characters there, even infomous Tawny Moore

Please register in order to view this content

After that it was all Lope and Hope for years…