AMC: Actress RETURNING

• Members

http://michaelfairmansoaps.com/news/carol-burnett-returning-to-all-my-children-to-reprise-role-of-verla-grubbs/2011/06/24/

Carol Burnett returning to All My Children to reprise role of Verla Grubbs!

The big returns just keep coming as All My Children prepares to leave the airwaves come September. This time, it’s Carol Burnett who is returning as Verla Grubbs! Burnett is set to appear in a few episodes in September. A bit about Verla, in case you forgot or never saw Burnett on her first go-round: Verla first appeared in Pine Valley in 1983 as the long-lost daughter of Langley Wallingford, played by the late Louis Edmonds. Throughout her appearances on the show, Burnett played opposite legendary actresses Eileen Herlie (Myrtle Fargate) and Ruth Warrick (Phoebe Wallingford). In 1984, Burnett and Herlie teamed up with Academy Award-winning actress Elizabeth Taylor in a scene on AMC

Burnett returned in 1995 for the 25th Anniversary of the show, and also hosted the 25th Anniversary primetime special. She reprised her role for the show’s 35th Anniversary episode in 2005, and will now play Verla Grubbs one last time opposite Susan Lucci (Erica Kane), and Jill Larson (Opal Cortlandt). “It is our honor and pleasure to welcome back Carol Burnett to Pine Valley. Verla Grubbs is a beloved member of the All My Children family and we look forward to reprising her character.” – Julie Hanan Carruthers, Executive Producer of AMC.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

AMC has changed so much over the years and I've always wondered if Carol has still watched (even if she returned in 2005). I'm glad she wanted to do this for the end.

This is also another example of how pointless the "____ doesn't have any ties to the current show!!" argument is, IMO. Verla only really had heavy ties to Myrtle, yet AMC is still happy to accept her return.

• Members

I know that's a dig at Judith Light :), but we're talking Carol Freaking Burnett here. They'll make her fit, even though her only real tie left is Opal. Plus this means we'll probably get one final mention of Phoebe and Langley. Now all we need is Barr, Canary, MacDonnell, and Meriwether finalized, and that'll good enough for me.

• Members

No, it's not a dig at Judith Light. It's a dig at the idea I've heard in many places since AMC and OLTL were canceled, and used to defend Goutman when ATWT was ending, that returns are pointless unless people have heavy and direct ties to at least ____ amount of characters on the canvas. It's the same reason I would never say Karen Wolek is too much of the past to return to OLTL. These shows are ending. EVERYTHING will soon be "the past." Anyone who was notable on the show and is willing to return, should be asked, IMO, if it can provide a special moment onscreen, a nice gift for viewers.

Thankfully, AMC, and GL, were willing to do this.

I also hope they will mention Phoebe and Langley, and possibly show a flashback. It's always made me a little sad that they never paid a more formal tribute to Langley.

Archived