All: Single Scenes You Think Should Have Won An Actor/Actress an Emmy

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The scene I will always remember is "The Death Of Jennifer Munson" on ATWT. When Jen was lying on her deathbed saying goodbye to her family one by one, it was heartbreaking. Everyone was wonderful, but special kudos to Ben Hendrickson and Colleen Zenk Pinter as the grief-stricken parents. Knowing that Ben took his own life about a month later only makes the scene more poignant.

• Members

This is the ep I felt Colleen Zenk should have submitted this year, though given how awful winner Laura Wright's reel was, I'm not sure there was any stopping her from winning. The first time I saw this, Barbara's pain as Henry & Vienna leave The Lakeview nearly broke my heart. And then the scene in the mirror? :( :( :(

This, blended with the comedy & physicality of the fantasy sequence and the triumphmant of her re-purchasing and donning the red dress (looking MAGNIFICENT by the way)- I just thought this whole episode was just beautiful. I did end up liking her choice better, but I wish it were the old days of submitting 2 episodes, as I think this and the wedding would have complimented each other beautifully.

• Members

Another Zenk reel that about broke my heart. This one has it all- comedy, pain, ferocity, strength- it embodies EVERY QUALITY that Barbara possesses and more. Colleen was simply divine throughout all of 2010 and deserved that Emmy more than any other actress in daytime this year. I'm still SO disappointed for her. :( :( :(

• Members

Actually, Zenk isn't in part 3 :lol:

And yes, Wright's win CLEARLY was about politics. Anyone who objectively watched the reels would agree. Hell, the kid who played Morgan upstaged her and he had like 2 lines!

It pains me because, as you can see, Zenk had a MYRIAD of episodes to choose from. I've always liked her as an actress, but having only been a full-time ATWT viewer since 2000 (I was an AW fan from 82-99), 2010 was the year she truly shined. The writers gave her episodes that showed every facet of Barbara's personality and Zenk played the hell out of it. But what I really liked and found interesting is they made Barbara vulnerable again, a quality that was always there but rarely brought to the surface. Throughout this entire storyline, I really felt for Barbara and even in silence, she brought me to tears on more than one occasion.

I think the success of the Barbara/Henry pairing, at least for me, was a combination of chemistry between the actors and Zenk making you really feel for Barbara. Whether you liked them together or thought the pairing was mediocre or forced, it was still nearly impossible not to root for her.

• Members

Basically, that she had been overlooked so often in the past that nearly EVERY actor, ABC and otherwise, probably voted for her to get a nomination. And because SO many people wanted her to make the ballot, she ended up getting the win.

Which is EXACTLY why this new voting system SUCKS and we end up with crappy winners a lot of times, like Jeanne Cooper in 2008 for example, the first year the winner was based on the voting in the pre-nomination round. It's a lazy system that is fair to nobody and unless it changes, undeserved wins like Wright's are going to continue to happen. I can't help but wonder if Brittany Allen won for similar reasons- her colleagues thought her firing was unjust, as she was FINALLY gelling in the part, and voted for her to give her a nod as a parting gift. Only it backfired and they ended up making her the winner.

Honestly, I think she meant that JFP helped her make the final decision on which episode to submit. I know it came off shady, but Wright's not dumb. She wouldn't expose it if she knew anything underhanded went down to get her the win.

• Members

It was always EXTREMELY difficult for actors from LOVING to get a nomination. Hell, the show itself was rarely nominated in any categories.

If I'm not mistaken, the only Loving actress to ever receive a nod was Noelle Beck as Outstanding Ingenue in 1989. Bernie Barrow was the only actor to receive a nomination in 1991 and he won.

Archived