All: Single Scenes You Think Should Have Won An Actor/Actress an Emmy

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Not so much one particular scene, as I believe she's had hundreds of them, but a big shame to me is that Maureen Garrett never won an Emmy for playing Holly on GL. Perhaps the most natural, subtle, yet captivating actress I've ever seen on daytime television. Anything from the early 90's should have gotten her an Emmy, and even as they started writing crap for her in the late 90's, she still sold the hell out of it. She's so damn underrated.

• Members

Maureen did such amazing things with that character. Played by an over the top actress or lesser actress, that character could have come off as so unlikable and you would have loved watching Roger torment her for all the wrong reasons, but Maureen managed to bring a raw humanity to the role. Even when Holly was a self-centered and neurotic mess, you could strangely see where she was coming from.

• Members

This is such a harrowing scene, done chiefly because GL had regrets over the Rita/Roger rape sequence implying that she wanted it. Both Maureen and Michael are excellent but Michael's work is so disgusting and yet enthralling, as he verbally and physically wears Holly down before raping her. The way he goes from despair to anger and back again and back again, really putting everything into his lines. It's a dehumanizing scene and unlike many actors who make it all about how hot they think they are, Zaslow fully commits to showing the true horror of this crime. I don't know if he was nominated for an Emmy that year but he should have been.

• Members

What's depressing is in 1993 for her work in 1992 (the Maureen Garrett clips you shared aired), she didn't even get to the blue ribbon panel. Perhaps if she had, she'd have an Emmy on her mantle.

• Members

I know "Emmy-worthy" is hardly the phrase that comes to mind when I mention the character Katie Peretti or any of her various husbands and soul-mates on ATWT, but there is one notable exception. Does anyone remember when Katie abandoned hubby Mike Kasnoff to chase after Simon Frazier? They had a long-overdue confrontation with each on the a side of a fence. Terri Colombino and Paul Leyden were always enjoyable and fun in their work, but in this scene they really knocked it out of the ballpark.

• Members

It's just shocking how they don't have any.

Victoria losing Eve, seeing Ryan in her dream, or confronting Victor over driving Diego away and slapping him, or her final scenes.

Olivia confronting that Keesha tramp over her affair with Nathan.

Nina shooting David or trying to kill herself.

That's only the tip of the iceberg. How can they not have Emmys for this stuff?

While this could be said for almost all of these actresses, MTS and VR have a special place for me in this because they never let a single line go to waste, never let an emotion unexplored. I'm rewatching 1998 and I am completely (re)amazed at how MTS just completely owns Nikki. She has so many layers, so many facets, so many different relationships with different characters. She can be sweet as pie and then turn lethally bitchy in a second. And she never, ever delivers anything without absolute conviction. She's larger than life yet feels relatable, never loses control. And this can apply to lots of Y&R's leading ladies. It's painful they're not more recognized yet MS will be getting her 18th Emmy soon (the reel will include the words "muh huzbund!").

• Members

I think RS does very well with this scene, particularly how emotional she gets in such a Dorian way. I know that sounds duhhh obvious, but not everyone is good at hitting the idiosyncratic emotional notes of his or her character.

• Members

I've always thought Robin Mattson was overlooked for both SB and AMC, but ESPECIALLY on Santa Barbara. She excelled at both comedy and drama. Here's 2 scenes that illustrate that- I'm pretty sure from the same year- 1986. Frankly, ALL of the actors in "Gina and the Infamous Wedding Plan" clip were overlooked (except Justin Deas, of course), though I'm unsure if the other 3 ever submitted. Actually, I'm pretty sure Lane Davies submitted himself in 1989, for the Sonny Sprockett story of '88. HOWEVER, his best stuff really came in the early years of the show- 84-87. Either way, Jed Allan, Judith McConnell, and especially Lane Davies were all Emmy-worthy actors who gave Emmy-worthy performances on the daily.

Archived