April 18-22, 2011

Toups

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

It's too bad that DAYS tapes so far in advance now, because to think that the currect junk is going to drag on til July is not a good sign. If they were to get it together and turn things around, we wouldn't even see improvement til August/September :(

• Members

I totally understand al my children being cancelled but oltl was cancelled two early. This is the second time oltl has beat gh with zero promo and a much cheaper budget. Us oltl fans all we can do is keep watching and keep ratings sky high. If we do this we have huge arugment it just wasn't a one week uptick that its a show that deserves to stay. Nbc should scoop oltl up as it would be a great companon for days.

I totally understand al my children being cancelled but oltl was cancelled two early. This is the second time oltl has beat gh with zero promo and a much cheaper budget. Us oltl fans all we can do is keep watching and keep ratings sky high. If we do this we have huge arugment it just wasn't a one week uptick that its a show that deserves to stay. Nbc should scoop oltl up as it would be a great companon for days.

• Members

OLTL’s rise in the ratings is amazing right now, its been growing ever since October. This show is clearly not anywhere near done. Who wouldn’t want a show that’s growing its audience? It’s also been the best soap in quality for the last three years. Disney would benefit from selling them to another company. Their not going to do anything with them anyways so what’s the point right? There’s no SoapNet to rerun the old episodes their never going to be released on DVD to make extra money for them. Why just let them hold dust?

ABC definitely made a big mistake in canceling both soaps and the shows their replacing them with won’t even see the highs that OLTL is putting up right now. Those shows would be lucky if they could even get The Talk’s ratings.

I think it's going to get real ugly with the affiliates who dominate their markets during daytime being pissed with having no Oprah or soaps. Were going to see what happens with CBS and how affiliates will take back their hours and those shows will not air in that many markets.

AMC was even up that week also which is positive sign for them.

For the rest of the remaining soaps outside of GH those numbers are not good and cancellation clock is ticking on them too. The soap with the most to lose B&B b/c they do too well overseas to just sit there and rot. Bell needs to be finding another network or a syndicator ASAP, don't wait for Les to put the hook on you.

• Members

When ATWT bit the dust, I kept saying OLTL would grow and become the number three soap but no one believed me. Sure, the soap got a small bump from the cancellation press; however, OLTL has been growing since October (less than one month after the close of World), the writing has been strong plus the addition of PGP fan favs has helped. I expect that the addition of Howarth will only help ratings grow further.

OLTL tapes months ahead so expect the show should be great into July; however, I do wonder if Frons will try to tank OLTL, make fans hate the show, by cutting the budget further or ordering RC to write bad story. I believe this happened over at GL, that TPTB made the show unwatchable to avoid backlash.

If OLTL continues to grow, Frons will have a great reason to cancel GH, too. There is no way GH can survive if OLTL finishes on top.

WFT is happening over at Y&R? They are way down with few signs of light in the coming weeks. I'm starting to wonder if 3.3 is the new normal for the show.

• Members

I kind of saw it coming myself b/c I knew that most of ATWT's audience would likely not watch The Talk so they would migrate over to OLTL very slowly in chunks and now some of their stars started showing up on there and that was the linching pin for OLTL to start growing.

I wonder now since Sony has quietly made the deal to pickup both AMC and OLTL to NBC at some point in the future if OLTL and AMC may get even bigger numbers by being on a network that saved them. OLTL could be so big when it moves to NBC and will no longer get treated like the red-head stepchild anymore.

Both shows would also be shown overseas for the first time which is the key to succeeding now in days in picking up extra revenue. That could be huge, I'm not sure if Susan Lucci would be coming with them though.

• Members

NBC is unable to pick up either soap due to the extra two hours of Today show. There is no way local channels would give time back and clear the shows. Sony might have an interest for international distribution but there is no network for either show. Oprah said it all with that little video tape.

• Members

Perspective people. Perspective. OLTL allegedly coming in under budget does not mean that OLTL makes a profit for ABC. Underbudget and profit are two different things. Networks want a profit.

Look at the numbers. We're talking a few hundred thousand viewers, which is really insignificant. These shows are treading water. I think that TV Guide put it into perspective when they pointed out that in 1993, AMC had over 2 million women 18-34 viewers and now they have 178,000. I found a Soap Opera Weekly from 1995 where Days was #1 with a 5.2/26 share of W 18-49. Don't they have about a .9 now? The numbers just are not there, for any soap. Going up a couple hundred thousand viewers in a week is nothing to get excited about. Get those 2 million women 18-34 AMC (or any soap) viewers back and get those women 18-49 viewers back. Otherwise, it's just a matter of time.

Cancelling a #2 (tied in households - THIS week) out of 6 soaps is really not earth shattering. They're all so close together and in the same boat.

Archived