April 18-22, 2011

Toups

• Members

Well, frankly....it's wrong. Ratings have been going down for years, in both daytime AND primetime. But the cost of advertising for those lower-rated network shows has actually been going up...not down.

OLTL was still making a nice profit for ABC, and AMC was also making a profit, although a small one. If they weren't making ANY profit, both would've been canned a long time ago. With OLTL's ratings for the last few weeks, it would actually be more lucrative for ABC to keep than GH. It's the season-to-date ratings in the key demo that Brian Frons used to justify the cancellations of AMC and OLTL, which are far behind GH. But the ratings of late show that OLTL is nearly tied with GH in that key demo. If OLTL continues to excel in that demo over the next few months (which is possible, though not extremely probable), there is no one in the business, or even at ABC, who won't think it was a huge mistake to cancel OLTL. Because OLTL would actually be a more profitable show than the soap ABC opted to keep.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Unless you have access to the financial information related to these shows no one knows how profitable these show are. GL and ATWT were also RUMORED to still be profitable weren't they? I can't imagine if any of these shows including the shows still airing were generating a healthy profit any would be cancelled. And its likely just a matter of time before GH and the remaining 3 client owned shows go too. Didn't Les Moonves basically already confirm for CBS that client owned soaps are a thing of the past? And are any of the demos improving significantly for any of these shows because thats what the advertisers look at?

And I don't get this continued comparison to The Talk. I look at their numbers and they actually seem pretty good.

I am sad to see particularly AMC go but its been time for them for quite a while. I am actually hoping Agnes and Broderick can really do justice to the show for its final months. I don't expect any kind of huge ratings surge, just hopefully some thoughtful writing and closure to what was once a fantastic show.

• Members

+1

There is a reason that we still look at HH ratings and that reason is Les at CBS. He rebuilt te network by hyping the value of HH ratings and set ad rates based on a combo of both demos and overall numbers. Personally, I think we here actually focus more on demos than Madison Ave.

As to the other poster who asked about money info regarding ATWT, the best we have to go by are the statements made by Brad Bell and Maura West. Maura said 'there was no money' and that fresh flowers were the only extra World could afford. Bell said PGP was loosing money on ATWT because CBS had slashed the licensing fees paid out which would suggest that CBS had not begun to loose anything--CBS made the production company take a loss which isn't something ABC can do seeing as they own the two shows.

I still think OLTL must, at the least, break even, or the soap would simply be gone already. ABC would not be dumping money into a loosing show with no hope of rebound. The real issue is that ABC can make even MORE money from Chew. With that said, I hope OLTL hits 2.1 next week!

• Members

B&B did that silly crash for sweeps and should have done okay at the end of the week. I got to say tat OLTL being the only soap to grow this year is a pretty cool thing. Days has gone so low-cost that the soap seems almost out of the running and is falling into a deep whole with demos.

Maybe Clint's heart attack and Nikki Smith will bring in enough old time fans for a 2.0 HH. I like GH but wanna see them drop for a few weeks so OLTL rates as top show. Wish ATWT had gotten this praise during the swan song.

OLTL...the little soap that cleaned up!

Archived