April 11-15, 2011

Toups

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Both AMC and OLTL see increases in 18-34 demos, OLTL up substantially in total viewers over last year.... I know it doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things because the ratings are still crap no matter which way you slice it but it certainly continues to fit in the narrative ABC does not want sustained.

• Members

The Bell's/Sony should be worried about the Y&R drops. This began about the time of Cane's death and there has been no rebound. I didn't realize he was such a popular character. Now is the time for a mega story to lift the show up. B&B has gone from bad to worse and has become an effort to watch. Maybe Brad Bell could pick up some ABC talent and take a new direction. I would love to see them use Leslie Kay more often, too, as opposed to boring Hunter Tylo.

OLTL has become daytime's number 3 soap and isn't all that far behind GH. I still don't believe OLTL is loosing money for the network. If the soap really is that far into the red, Days must be screwed.

I do wonder if NBC has an out in the recent 2 year contract? Now would be the perfect time for NBC to dump the show and just get lost in the angry crowd. Days always bounces back so maybe the worst is over.

The Bell's/Sony should be worried about the Y&R drops. This began about the time of Cane's death and there has been no rebound. I didn't realize he was such a popular character. Now is the time for a mega story to lift the show up. B&B has gone from bad to worse and has become an effort to watch. Maybe Brad Bell could pick up some ABC talent and take a new direction. I would love to see them use Leslie Kay more often, too, as opposed to boring Hunter Tylo.

OLTL has become daytime's number 3 soap and isn't all that far behind GH. I still don't believe OLTL is loosing money for the network. If the soap really is that far into the red, Days must be screwed.

I do wonder if NBC has an out in the recent 2 year contract? Now would be the perfect time for NBC to dump the show and just get lost in the angry crowd. Days always bounces back so maybe the worst is over.

• Members

It's no coincidence that B&B ratings are dropping. In most of the country it does NOT following Y&R, but it lead into ATWT. The only reason I ever tuned into B&B was that I was home early or home from work, etc. That's how I got exposed to it. Now that ATWT is gone, not surprised since a big soap audience is gone. (Remember, every little bit help and I doubt fans of The Talk are tunning in.)

• Members

Mooves has always talked about how demos don't matter 'cause CBS des stronger in overall HH. I could see him being happy with Y&R because nothing else on daytime is gonna pull in a 3.7.

I don't see him as a soap killer, trying to buy the PGP shows in 2000 and then letting GL hang on for way too long. PGP/Telenext is the soap killer.

As for B&B, the Y&R lead on the east coast saves the show every week. Had ATWT retained the same timeslot following Y&R, the show would still be on air. B&B has been dreck for years and the ratings shock me. ATWT was, by far, a better show.

• Members

You did notice I said a few years, right?!! :lol: He is not a soap killer, I agree with that (on some level he actually likes the 2 shows remaining now) but what he is is a very smart BUSINESSMAN who cares a great deal about the content he delivers on his network and Y&R's content is getting mighty sloppy so they better tighten up. I say we just enjoy what's happening now and not complain too much because you never know when the rug will be yanked out. It can happen to the best of anything so if I were Y&R I would not be so arrogant to think it can't happen to us because we are #1, we are #1 LOL.

Disney yanked their soaps and their stocks are on the rise because most shareholders love that the dead weight will make their profit margin look good means more profit for them as well as the employees of Disney. On some level CBS is ok..for now..as they don't produce their own soaps but I am not going to get too comfy with the..we are no #1, we are no. 1 moniker.

• Members

All I'm going to say is this the remaining three soaps b/c I don't recognize GH as a remaining soap anymore since its on a network that clearly wants to kill them they better smarten up and get their quality together b/c they will be next. I'm hoping Bell is going to shop B&B to a syndicator as soon as possible b/c its doing too well overseas to close shop.

Lots of backlash this week and its still going for AMC and OLTL's cancellations. OLTL is not anywhere near done yet, who wouldn't want a show like OLTL that has clearly grown its audience in the last six months?

I will say this you've got two soaps and one on the way called The Bay still on the market, if you're network that needs to improve your reputation these three soaps are waiting for you to be a hero.

• Members

Totally agree, and what does number 1 mean anymore if the ratings are generally poor? Moonves is a great business man, has turned CBS into a cash cow, and won't settle for any sort of loss from Y&R. Worst case for CBS, another game show or chat-fest. LMAD isn't exactly a winner but it makes money.

I really do wonder what would have come of ATWT and GL had CBS bought the shows? There is a good chance that they would have crashed and burned like most other soaps; however, ATWT had a lot of potential and might have worked out with a real budget and maybe better time slot.

Totally agree, and what does number 1 mean anymore if the ratings are generally poor? Moonves is a great business man, has turned CBS into a cash cow, and won't settle for any sort of loss from Y&R. Worst case for CBS, another game show or chat-fest. LMAD isn't exactly a winner but it makes money.

I really do wonder what would have come of ATWT and GL had CBS bought the shows? There is a good chance that they would have crashed and burned like most other soaps; however, ATWT had a lot of potential and might have worked out with a real budget and maybe better time slot.

Archived