ALL: Soap Print Ads

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The Monroes only lasted a few episodes. Soapnet ran reruns very briefly. I mostly remember it for the extended embarrassment nudity sequence with one of the guys, which would never be on network TV today.

Oh, and Susan Sullivan's character flipped off reporters. That was fun.

• Members

We believed The Monroes and Central Park West would be our return to '80s primetime soap glam, but it didn't really work out. I was in high school at the time and one of my teachers did production work on the show when it was filming in Washington. The Monroes was shuffled around/put on hiatus then altogether scrapped. I feel like this would never happen today, but ABC aired the first episode twice about two weeks apart, as I assume they were trying to nab an audience, ANY audience.

• Members

I was just thinking about "The Monroes" after watching "Political Animals." SoapNET ran reruns as part of their Dysfunction Family Night along with Paper Dolls, Skin, Dallas, and I believe Pasadena. The final episodes improved a bit when they introduced a father and son team (the father played by Mike Farrell) who were enemies of the Monroes. I believe the show even hinted once that the blonde daughter was sleeping with Bill Clinton, the then president.

• Members

Monroes and especially CPW were supposed to be the more modern soaps, for the more scaled-down 90's, where we were supposed to be reflecting on our excesses, or whatever. I think Monroes was just on the wrong network. CPW had the script problems which no one bothered to fix.

• Members

Remember TITANS on NBC in the Fall of 2000? I feel like that show could've lasted if had either aired about 6 years earlier or nowadays, with the return of Dallas, the success of Revenge, etc. I primetime soap like that was like a modern-day Dynasty, but people just weren't interested in melodramatic soaps in 2000. We had just lost 90210, Melrose, etc. and the interest just wasn't there. It was a great ensemble cast though. It also wasn't a good fit for NBC, especially at the time.

• Members

Sadly, what I most remember about Titans is taking one look at YB and thinking, "Ol' Leanne's been hittin' them slopes... HARD."

She's probably talked about it in one of those Ultimate Dallas interviews, but I wonder what Victoria Principal's experience was like on Titans. On the subject of her not having time to do Dallas 2.0 given her cosmetics mogul's schedule, she did in fact make time for Titans. But whether or not Pam is needed/feasible on Dallas right now is a separate subject.

• Members

You're right, the casting was off. It was definitely a hodge-podge of ex-soap stars who didn't all chemistry with each other. I liked Yasmine Bleeth, Casper van Dien, Perry King, and Victoria Principle.... but then you had Ingo Rademacher, Jason George, Josie Davis, and the girl that replaced Priscilla Garita, and they all just seemed like time filler. And although you had Jack Wagner as a "big name", it didn't really fit at the time.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived