AMC Tribute Thread

• Members

Real-life husband and wife duo John and Sandy Gabriel will join me live in The Locher Room on Friday, January 8, 2021 at 3 p.m. EST. The duo will share memories from their time playing Seneca Beaulac on Ryan's Hope and Edna Thornton on All My Children.

Please register in order to view this content

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

This reminds me a lot of the talk about the Dallas reboot, where the older performers (who were supposed to be past it and just there for a pat on the head), by and large, ran rings around the wooden, unappealing new people who were supposed to bring in the viewers.

Good luck to ABC with that. If they are that uninterested, then just leave the property where it is and try another new show that will, presumably, flop like most of their new dramas do.

• Members

I will give you what it says in the AMC bible -- I found a copy dated 1967 at Northwestern University.

The last section reads:

But underlying our story, the inexorable fact is always there; that in this, our human predicament, what happens to the LEAST affects the GREAT, the STRONG are indebted to the WEAK, that SORROW and FEAR are the absence of JOY and HOPE, and that without TRAGEDY there could never be TRIUMPH.

Further, every Anniversary, beginning with the 20th, someone states:

The Great and the Least

The Rich and the Poor

The Weak and the Strong

In Joy and Sorrow

In Sickness and in Health

In Tragedy and in Triumph....

...you are All My Children.

The 25th Anniversary has a Prime-time Special in which Carol Burnett says it. She actually reads the way it's written in the first page of the show's bible

The Great and the Least

The Weak and the Strong

In Hope and Fear

In Tragedy and in Triumph

...you are All My Children

--------------

If you ask me, in short, every story when it was at it's best, had no character without redeeming factor. Even characters like Billy Clyde Tuggle, who trafficked women, raped them, got them hooked on drugs, and burried them alive had a redeeming factor. Billy Clyde was driven by what we all want--security. But, how we was going about it was wrong. Characters like him, Janet, Ray Gardner, all did horrific things but it was treated as 'wrong things for the right (or simply understandable) reasons. We HATED what these characters were doing but we understood why they were doing it.

Of course, Erica Kane took the cake for that one. Start with May of 1991 on YouTube. That is the start of "Janet from Another Planet"--no, not a space alien. I'm currently in July of that year. Every damn scene reiterates the above.

• Members

The theme was featured in a very short video following ABC's broadcast of ANNIE on November 7, 1999.

They changed the order of the "facts" to:

"The Great and the Least The Weak and the Strong The Rich and the Poor In Sickness and Health In Joy and Sorrow In Tragedy and Triumph.... ...you are All My Children."

Edited by mikelyons
Link

• Members

The Dallas revival was so frustrating because the concept was excellent, but the execution was terrible. The actors playing the younger generation were pretty much eye candy and their characterizations were shallow. And the storylines veered far from what made the original series so great - the family dynamics. Instead, there were stories about drug cartels and politics and it was awful.

It’s a shame, because the older actors, as a previous poster said, did a fine job. And the series, for the first time, was filmed entirely on location in Dallas and looked fantastic.

• Members

AMC was about the same thing basically any other soap was about - the drama between people who live in the same town. Some like to go on long tangents about each soap having a central theme to every storyline, but I don't really think that's true. The basic premise is the same for most soaps - what makes each one unique are the characters and the tone. To know AMC is to know its characters, and to understand AMC is to understand its sentimentality and humor.

Yes!! The Decades network had a nice little profile of her this evening to celebrate her birthday. Love that girl!

• Members

I'd be surprised if this hadn't been posted before but someone compiled the entire Michael Delaney story into a 7 hour video. I'm only 30 minutes in but I'm impressed by the frankness and language used. The show didn't seem concerned about making Bobby or Trevor sympathetic, they're both unabashedly homophobic to show an unsupportive point of view. This is the sort of domestic drama soaps have refused to do over the last 20 years.

I find it interesting that both Michael and Bianca came out around Christmas time. Did the show do this intentionally knowing more eyeballs would be on daytime this time of year? I don't know.