Y&R: Genie Francis joins the show

• Members

I realize Y&R is [!@#$%^&*], but I'm glad for her. Genie Francis is incredibly talented and she was forced back to GH and shackled there for years despite proving on other soaps that she could spread her wings as more than Laura. If GH had allowed Laura to be more than Guza's narrow conception of the character, she'd still be there, and doing well. I'm eager to see what she does with what will likely be a thankless, underwritten but at least different role.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

This is great news! I was pleasantly surprised by tristans character and I'm hoping to be for genie aswell.

They'll probably give her an awful role that does her no favors, but you know she will play the hell out of it.

Hell let's make her Ninas long lost sister too! Genie Francis and Tricia Cast together? :wub:

• Members

Tricia is another who might go to make way for Genie.

I have always thought it might be more JFP who got rid of Laura, even if Guza clearly has no use for Laura. JFP only seems to prefer older women who look like her.

It's also interesting this was announced only after the departure of Rauch, who also generally isn't fond of older women on his shows.

• Members

Can't see a TR pairing it would just make everyone from GH think of Luke, and they would be a couple of strangers to Y/R viewers who never watched GH.

If they send Jill packing I will leave with her. :(

It's possible her character will be Katherine's real daughter they have the same features.

Jill and Colin :wub: are gold. And if Genie wants to be a strong woman character who better than Jill to get her going.

And Jack is the perfect guy to paired with a strong woman character, they might look nice together too.

• Members

I think Jess is safe for now, storyline or not. I think it's when Jeanne Cooper retires that she really needs to worry. Jill is essentially defined by her dysfunctional relationship with Katherine. With Katherine out of the picture, there's really little conflict for the character, and thus no reason for her to stay on the show. I think they saw that coming, and thus decided to tie her to the Fisher-Baldwins through Lauren to keep her a viable character after Katherine is no longer on the show, but from what I hear that whole thing went over like a lead balloon.

• Members

What are these writers? A bunch of [Red Foreman] DUMB-ASSES?[/redforeman] (lol Deeedee, wanted to keep that going. Good stuff)

Jill lost all direction when they started cutting her out of the fabric of the show. She lost her Foster-status, which, at one time meant something when the Fosters and Chancellors and the Brookses and all of them were comingling. Making her NOT a Foster then not Katherine's daughter then NOT Cane's mother and then Lauren's sister on a whim has marginalized her beyond belief. If they're consciously trying to make her stick out like a sore thumb it's working. Jess has been there so long and knows everyone so well (both as a character and an actress) but as far as geneology, Jill doesn't fit anywhere anymore and I think that has hurt the character.

Wonder if Genie will try an Australian accent and put anotha shrimp on the bahbee. That would be funny haha. Also think the tension between Jill who's known herself as Cane's mother and this NuMother person coming in could be interesting... (read won't be... any "COULD" on this show is never capitalized on).

I just thought it was funny because weren't they saying years ago she'd come on as JT's mom and they said oh we have no plans to bring JT's mom on, why does he need a mom, what would she do?

Replace 'JT' with Cane and repeat the same questions, anyone???

*ducks from vegetables* someone mentioned Casey Reed... I'd actually like to see... [jaws theme] Kim Zimmer in the role. I think the two of them could be good... and the rest of the cast could take turns betting who would get to the Craft Services table faster.

• Members

Tristan on Genie coming to Y&R, from his FB page:

Genie coming over to Y&R caught EVERYONE by surprise. Who says you can't keep a secret these days. What will be the reaction at GH?. Probably nothing. The L&L legacy has been over for sometime. What's for the future? Well we have an intriguing cast of characters. Anything could happen.

• Members

Great interview. Funny that people were joking that MAB got the idea to hire Genie from Oprah, and what does Genie say "I got a call from [Y&R Executive Producer] Maria Bell three or four weeks ago. She explained to me that she had seen me on Oprah." :lol:

Archived