AMC: Hubbard birth spoilers

• Members

But would others? I just keep thinking back to the thread here (and other places) last week, when the kids were on, and people bitched. They wanted to see the kids for months. Wanted to see them be normal, happy kids. They get it, and BITCH. I feel like this is a catch 22. I'm not sure I buy that people would tune in to see Angie and Jesse deal with their disabled child anymore than I think people will tune in to see AJ/Mimo etc.

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

My thinking is, if they had to kill the baby, couldn't they have done it without Jesse lying to his wife, and Angie being totally clueless as to her own child dying?

A very raw story could have been their marriage imploding as a result of them not being able to cope with the death of their child, not this passing some other child ass as their child nonsense.

I've always though Angie and Jesse as a very realistic couple, who would do better with raw and gritty storylines, not sensationalistic nonsense. But this type of storytelling is what every soap is doing, so it's really no surprise.

I suppose if Jesse is tormented in every episode about his decision it could work, but I would hate for it all to come out and Jesse giving Angie the excuse "I did it for YOU....FOR US!" nonsense that soaps pour out these days. And you know soaps always sugarcoat this crap.

But I won't be watching regardless, so it doesn't matter. I'm just over stories where women are intentionally or unintentionally victimized, like not knowing her own child is dead.

• Members

It could be that the actual swap doesn't last that long, and they're dealing with the fallout relatively quickly. I think this will explode, in terms of Angie finding out in May. Which for a babyswap, isn't that bad.

• Members

Exactly.

But again the same individuals justifying this garbage will be the same individuals happily bashing Jesse & Darnell in 6 months.

Watch.

In a healthy Daytime climate under good writers this MIGHT have been a good story but in Daytime's current climate where Minority Men exist solely to be constantly emasculated & Minority Women are concubines/placeholders for White Men?

Not a chance.

• Members

True, May is a little early. Maybe Angie could get her sight back in May and start to notice something isn't right with the baby. That actually might be a good progression.

I'm still hard pressed to believe that more people would tune in to watch A&J (or anyone) struggle with raising a disabled child than any of the other kids. Spike and Ian are both only trotted out when their parents need drama, otherwise, they're insignificant.

• Members

While the majority of viewers are not Rylee fans and I understand that most fans did not find Ryan and Greenlee coming face to face to be emotional/riveting/shocking. What I do not understand is you questioning the crew being emotional while watching those scenes and the upcoming A&J scenes. When you work on a soap you spend your work day creating these characters, crafting the stories, and watching the actors make it all come to life on set. The people that work behind the scenes spend long hours every day creating the lives of the people that the viewers tune in to see every day. Doing this they become invested in these characters and their stories, more so than a typical fan would

How exactly is this character assassination? When put in tragic and emotionally taxing situations people tend to not think things through and wind up acting in ways they typically wouldn't and doing things they wouldn't normally do. Imagine it... You bring your wife, who had gone blind so she can have this baby she's carrying, to the place when you got married. Your wife goes in to labor and gives birth to a still born baby Your wife has given up her vision to have this baby. Could you seriously tell her after all she's gone through to deliver this baby that it's stillborn?

As for the comment about the backlash from Jake's death on GH. These stories are planned months in advance and taped weeks in advance. These episodes are shot and in post. The Jake stuff did not air until this past week. With that kind of workflow do you really think what you suggest is possible?

I also highly doubt Maya would get her baby back. A&J would not be put through hell to get more pain and suffering at the end of the story. While it might end up looking like Maya will get the baby back I believe that A&J will prevail. In the big picture, they are legacy characters that are an established family. Who is Maya? A new character that will probably exit in the fall.

Babys on soaps that are born with defects or develop defects are not characters and will never be. They are plot devices. The sudden illness creates a story that provides emotional drama for a short duration, then the child is seldom seen and only pulled back out to be used as an accessory in a scene or as a plot device to spur another emotional story. While the scenario you suggest seems possible, in the long run it would just be A&J dealing with it initially and the sporadically as time went on until its announced the kid is at a special school for his disability or some other nonsense to hide the now disabled character that they have no use for besides being a plot device. Example: Lilly Montgomery.

• Members

I agree. And I also think that this storyline could:

last May or even July. I think this storyline could go on for a while, because it's such a huge lie, I don't see it coming out quickly. (And look how long this storyline with Kendall is dragging on. The Madison stuff also dragged on for a while.) So that means we could have months of Jesse lying and doing who knows what to try and ensure Angie doesn't find out the truth. He may do all types of corrupt things/bad stuff, erasing away the sympathy he will get at the beginning of this storyline. I wonder to what lengths Jesse will do to keep this secret and how upset/disgusted people would get in the process.

Archived