Deadline Hollywood Says AMC May Be A Goner

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Yeah it sounds like BS and I don't believe anyone at ABC is happy with VM's return and I can't see them combining the shows. ANd who's guaranteeing those OLTL actor would ever relocate.

I did read a rumor elsewhere and I have no idea if there is any truth to it. It's that Disney/ABC contracted an outside firm to do an analysis/research of their 3 soaps in terms of marketability and supposedly OLTL came out number 1 with GH and AMC scrapping for last place. As I said it was a rumor not fact.

• Members

This is a very sad day for ABC daytime cause there is much more validity to this cancellation now then ever. Honestly it makes complete financial and business sense to cancel AMC. When Les Moonves cancelled ATWT everyone lashed or hated him but in reality from a business standpoint he made the right choice. The Talk has produced identical ATWT ratings on a budget of 50 to 60 percent less then ATWT's budget. The talk did not help things by it reinforced Les made the right decision. Soaps are a dying industry and they ae just going to go down not up. I honestly believe OLTL last year was the target to go first with the AMC move and promotion but OLTL imrpoving its numbers and being underbudget it makes more financial sense to keep the show then AMC. OLTL I believe will eventually get cancelled, these soaps are going to all go at some point. Its like when BETA and VHS became extinct so will soaps. Soaps today are produced in the form of the Housewives series. Honestly I am sure ABC daytime would rather do something like a View spinoff or even do something like bring a big personality to its roaster for a talk show. The results will be a better fianncial decision. Its sad that AMC which has such a huge legacy is going. ABC I will give credit they did try saving it with the move to LA but they forget to do one thing bring a new executive producer with it. Its sad but IMO IT MAKES BUSINESS SENSE. If I were in ABC shoes and I was just going by a business decision, I would cancel AMC. I wouldn't want to produce a show that is not making me any MONEY at the end of the day.

• Members

While the show only tapes 4 weeks ahead I get the impression, based on several of their comments in the magazines, that D&D write way further ahead than the show's past regimes, which is really going to eat into the show's "goodbye" time.

• Members

Hmm, I don't think is doing the same as ATWT as this article explains:

However, your right, it is cheaper to produce, so it does make it ecomonomical for the net. It also is going to be easier to canel then a soap with a 50 plus year history. Just cancel, put something new on and see how that works.

• Webmaster

I know Jamey mentioned this in his DC report after this Deadline news broke, but I can reiterate that it is in fact true. OLTL got high results in its recent focus group figures and is not going anywhere. Coupled with the frequency of this news in the last few weeks and these recent results, it only takes an idiot to not realize these recent tests by ABC may have been their way of seeing which show they could afford to give up (AMC didn't test as well). However, if ABC has to cancel a soap due to finances now...it isn't by choice. As it stands, ABC wants to keep all the shows on the air until at least the first couple of weeks of ratings post-SOAPnet.

• Members

Wow thanks for posting that Errol.

Are they really expecting this rebranded Soapnet channel to do well? 24 hour channel, kids aren't even up at the wee hours of the morning, plus there's Nick Jr., Nick Toons, Disney Channel in the mornings. This isn't even an original type of programming

• Members

that makes sense, why cancel a soap now? Wait and see how they do in Jan and Feb and if nothing changes, end AMC in the summer of 2012 and OLTL and the end of that year, but why not wait six months and see what happens post soapnet?

• Members

If it's costing them money to wait,, they'll probably just cancel sooner. I agree though, just wait till Soapnet is gone.

Wasn't it said AMC did good on Soapnet, even some AMC actors were begging people to watch the show on ABC instead of Soapnet, cause of the Soapnet ratings not counting for ABC

• Members

I am guessing AMC would end in Dec, didn't ATWT get nine months to wrap up? So what's six months, they could cancel it in March next year if it doesn't improve and end it in June

I hate this even though I only watch OLTL, it just means OLTL got a years notice and I am sure OLTL will have to take on a lot of AMC actors just like they have ATWT and GL's actors

• Members

I just don't see Soapnet going away meaning much, Maybe the shows pick up some DVR viewers or more online numbers but I just dont see the impact that great. Of course who knows and I guess time will tell.

Does anyone know what the recent Soapnet Viewing numbers are. Are they substantial enough anymore to even matter?

Archived