Deadline Hollywood Says AMC May Be A Goner

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Sadly, it think that the remaining soap audience likes that. The misogyny, the racism, the nonsensical writing, etc... Most of the people who demanded better have left and the a lot of the people still watching value the familiarity more than anything. It's no different than those of us who watch reruns on TV Land or Antenna TV.

Ironically, I'm kind of glad that AMC's viewers walked away rather than accept a subpar product much like GL's viewers did.

• Members

I expect a jump in the ratings for all the soaps when they stop airing on SoapNet, even if only 40-50% of the SoapNet audience

moves back to network broadcast, the entire soap ratings/rankings could change drastically, especially since only .1 and .2 sometimes

seperates these network ratings. This is why I am shocked ABC would cancel any soap before 2012, I suspect IF AMC is canceled, maybe they forecast OLTL doing better post-SoapNet than AMC.

I certainly agree all the soaps are in danger, although with OLTL appearing to come back from the dead much like DAYS, I have a lot of hope for them, ALSO maybe OLTL will actually get PROMOTIONS and no longer be treated like the bastard child of ABC Daytime, if ABC invests a bit of money in promoting OLTL like it does GH, who knows what can happen? Of course Ron and Frankie better make damn sure they get their acts together, I think they are a talented team and if they made some adjustments and write and produce a great show OLTL can not only beat GH, it can topple Y&R!!!! lol I know some may disagree, although I have faith in OLTL, it has a lot of potential.

• Members

Where has OLTL come back from the dead? It did well in focus groups, and barely beats AMC. LOL That's dying slowly, not rebounding. It's possible it will. I'm not saying it won't. I just think that for it to last longer than a year, something would have to change, real writing changes, holding ratings, holding demos, etc. not just the initial SoapNet rebound ratings. And if ABC Daytime doesn't think there's anyone wrong with it...

I'm not convinced AMC will go before SoapNet is canceled. We'll see. I guess.

• Members

No matter how bad the show is/gets (though these days I don't find it to be all that bad to be quite honest...), It's still so crushing to read all this speculation, and if/when the news comes out it will be so freaking sad to hear & try to digest! I don't want to see AMC go yet! :( :( :(

• Members

IMO, this is nonsense if the "company" shows absolutely no interest in selling the product. I'm not gonna set up a lemonade stan, make sh!tty, watery lemonade, put it out there and then, when EVERYBODY is at the stand down the street and NOBODY's buying my stuff, say "Well, there's no market for lemonade anymore! Gotta go!" DO something! Dang!

Few people at ABC are invested in AMC (or OLTL and GH), and if they are, the show comes second or third on a list that's topped by their own well-being (as it should be):

~ The cast needs to work. Some of them might think the show sucks, but they're staying put (unless something better comes along) because they like the money or they still feel loyalty to the show no matter what's going on.

~ Same thing with the crew, and I'm sure they're much less likely to up and leave because they're disappointed in the show's quality.

~ The writers and producers need the work, too, and they seem to have figured out that they can just throw any ol' noodle on the wall and still work, still get that money. If they believe they're writing the types of stories that people most want to see, then they're out of touch. If they're slacking on purpose because they're only in it for the money and don't feel like putting tremendous effort in the stories, then they're selfish. If they want to write "good" stories that we all want to see and stories that would make the show a source of profit again but can't because of interference from above, then they're saints for writing someone else's stories while taking the blame for them.

~ Frons is a cocky SOB, but he wants to work too because he wants money. He's painfully out of touch, but that doesn't matter to him because he's still got a job and he's still getting paid. He can call his actresses fat and old, brag about his "hot lesbians," etc, and still get paid. So he'll do Rylee, he'll do mob stories, etc, because that's what he wants ABC Daytime to be all about. When the soaps die, I'm sure he's sure he has another job lined up (or maybe he has enough saved to live comfortably without daytime).

~ Anne Sweeney is a troll. Soaps are a tiny part of the entire equation for this troll, so soaps are expendable. I'm sure most of the operation is left to Frons, and if she's paying any attention to daytime, it's because she's envious of Uncle Les. It's not a matter of trying to keep these shows going by exploring new (and radical) avenues, it's a matter of milking them dry then pushing them away to make room for the fresh, new teats.

So there you go. Anyone who really cares about daytime isn't in the position to do anything about daytime. Everyone's screwed, including us, and yes, I'm high on Anne Sweeney hate, but someone's got to get the ball rolling on that. Tell her for me, Farah!

28lrtbb.jpg

Archived