Deadline Hollywood Says AMC May Be A Goner

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The thing is sad about AMC being cancelled is AMC is one of the biggest soaps of all time and has such a legacy with ABC and with the soap world. Its sad that its going to happen but if I were the network exec of this company and I had a SHOW that was making me LITTLE TO NO MONEY, its gotta go. In business its all about dollars and cents and when a show isn't producing that amount necessary its cancelled. AMC being cancelled is sad but it really is just the sign of the times that soaps are over. Its not profitable to keep these shows on air when there are much lower cost alternatives such as a talk show, game show, or a reality soap ala Housewives or Big Brother. I am sad but NOT SURPRISED as we all knew the beginning of the end and especially with SOAPNET GONE. Soaps will go down as an extinct artform. The problem what happened is we have our iphones with all these apps, cable channels, women ae working together, nobody likes committment tv these days. The world has changed today. Honestly AMC lived about 2-3 years longer then it should have. In NY it was a financial disaster by end, they were freaking out on how to produce the show as it was costing more then what it was making.

• Members

Didn't lifestyle shows like the Home Show previously flop for ABC in daytime?

The Male View would also likely flop in daytime, as it did before.

ABC is just replacing failure with failure. If they are going to worry about cutting costs they might as well just junk all the original programming in daytime for reruns, because so far CBS isn't getting very good results from their move.

• Members

Nothing you say here is an argument FOR soaps though. It's just an argument against the (cheaper, easier to produce) replacements. Like it or not, there's no argument for keeping soaps any on the air. They cost too much and make too little. CBS might not be getting very good results but the results (read: profit) are as good as any the soaps were getting.

But I agree they'd be better off with repeats. A CSI/ER/Alias rerun block would be pure profit.

• Members

Sorry, I think it is a copout to blame other choices for the reason that soaps

are dying. Soaps are in trouble because they refuse to listen to their audience

and the audience is more than willing to move on to something that will give them

what they want. Executives still believe they know what fans SHOULD want. "You say

you like bananas, but apples are so much better." It is the same people making

the same bad decisions. I feel bad for the crews of these shows, the people who depend on the show for their livings. Fans say what they want, but after no one listening for years, fans aren't going to stick around and when you lose your base you are screwed and that is what happened with AMC. AMC lost its heart by letting go of so many actors that the audience was connected with. I still believe if they put out a good product the fans would return and it has nothing to do with apps or cable TV.

• Members

I guess to me, if a soap that has been used and abused for years is getting the same ratings as a shiny new show that is getting lots of love and money from a network, then that means the soaps could have been more if someone at the network or the company that owned the soap had just made an effort. That's not true for all soaps, I know, but I think it is true for some. Whether it would be true for AMC or OLTL, I don't know, but it was only in 2009 that AMC had a ratings jump. Some of the soaps that are in such disrepair probably still get about as much 18-49 as daytime will get in those slots. The networks just seem to keep putting in things that most 18-49 would have no interest in anyway, so maybe they don't care about that demo. If they don't then I'm even more confused about what they're doing.

I think if the network made a serious effort to fix these shows they would have some long-term potential again, whereas I think just putting in the stuff they keep putting in is another way to kill off original programming in daytime altogether.

• Members

I took that part out because I remembered 18-49 was supposedly one reason they were cut, but it still seems odd to me because CBS is doing nothing to get 18-49 viewers in that slot even without ATWT. With a less hideous teen or young adult scene they might have improved their 18-49. No one cared about fixing the show.

Archived