Deadline Hollywood Says AMC May Be A Goner

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I just hope this show is going to be something better than the garbage most talk shows are these days. The idea of AMC being canned for Tori Spelling or The View for Men or a random cooking show even though the public lost interest in that (outside of niche channels) long ago is sad.

• Members

I still kind of think it might be both at the same time. It depends on whether ABC is worried about losing viewers for the daytime. If they think they won't then I could see both going.

AMC/OLTL are so close in numbers I'm not sure which it would be if just one goes.

• Members

They'd have to develop two replacements at once. Easier to cancel one then the other. But yes, in reality the cancellation announcement for one IS the cancellation of both. One just gets to run through the forest a little while longer while people shoot at it.

• Members

I know that's the standard operating procedure when a network wants to get rid of two soaps, but since ABC has been developing projects for years now I keep wondering if this time will be something different and they won't pretend by dragging one soap along for another six months.

• Members

CBS has stopped talking about the ratings, but by some of the last press releases it was, I believe, doing worse than or the same as ATWT in demos and in overall viewers. But that doesn't matter because it's cheaper than a soap. The real problem for these talk shows is that they will eventually fall to a point where a repeat of an old primetime show would probably get about the same ratings, or better. I won't be surprised if this is where the daytime lineup is within five years. An endless loop of Grey's Anatomy or CSI repeats in place of something like Let's Make a Deal, which now apparently does not even exist.

• Members

I never understood the logic, "it doesn't matter if the ratings are low, it's cheaper to produce". Of course it matters. What advertiser does anyone know willing to pay for a show where no one in the demo they desire is watching? We all know why The Talk is still on the air.

Anyway, if what you say is true Carl about repeats, the networks may as well give the time back to the affiliates.

• Members

The current rumor is AMC now and OLTL in September of '12. I think it's awfully overconfident of ABC to be booking that far ahead without even one successful new talk show in place, but hey, these are the geniuses who brought us the new V and Off The Map.

If they go, we know why. I do think AMC could have been saved, absolutely, even now in its current sorry state. It isn't at the point of a GL or an ATWT to me. I certainly think OLTL can improve on its many problems. It just seems here like more a network looking to move on than anything. Premature, even compared to the transparent scheming of P&G.

Archived