General Hospital Sneak Peek: "Look Both Ways Jake!"

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Is it me, or does this whole thing border on the creepy? Often times when they've kill kids on soaps, it's been done to get some message across (AMC-crib death, drunk driving; GH-organ donation), handled very sensitively, and usually not solely for the sake of short-term shock value. Yes, I know it's only fiction LOL, but there's just something morbid about it, at least to me. Maybe it's because the target audience for these shows is women, mothers, stay-at-home moms...and something like this probably really hits home for them. These women are obviously being pandered to, and to execute it in a way that's less than sensitive, like this will no doubt be, is just, well, creepy. Damn, even the promo emphasizes the great shock value of it all. And knowing that Frons and Guza are probably getting some orgasmic thrill about the ratings gold mine to result from this just adds to the creep factor. Maybe I'm overthinking it. Plus, maybe I shouldn't judge til it all plays out on screen, but knowing these writers...

• Members

I was hit by a car when I was 12, so this kind of thing hits me, not just as a woman...but as someone who could have died. I was lucky, but I admit, I don't know how much of this I can barely. Only because it brings back memories of my own trauma, I should say I don't remember the actual accident, and it makes me think things I dislike.

• Members

I don't think it's even bordering. The show gets off on this. Guza's interviews about a child being shot in the head were almost gleeful. That ridiculous faux-sincere promo rivals the worst of NBC's arrogant promos in the mid/late 90s...which helped send the network into permanent doldrums.

• Members

I have to say that I have always thought that soaps kill kids for the dramatic shock value, to raise ratings, and as Emmy bait. Some soaps just put the crib death, drunk driving, organ donation, etc. angles in there to sell it as a social issue and downplay audience outrage, but they don't always. I remember when watching Ryan Hope repeats on SoapNet when baby Edmund was killed in an explosion for apparently no reason, but the drama. Guza just doesn't play the social issue game much in interviews. He enthusiastically admits that the death/violence event is about the drama and the impact that it will have on Sonny, Jason, and Carly.

• Members

So, GH is killing Jake as a way to usher Liz out, prop Jason and his hitman life style as ok, and let him have a baby with Sam?

Ok, i do not have a issue with soaps killing babies off, when it is done even halfway right and as a way to push character developmental. If GH killed Jake off via someone trying to get to Jason and then Jason tried to change his life because he FINALLY gets the damage it does then it would be a great story.

But this?

And the promo is so insulting. No, walking away was not the only way Jason could protect Jake. The story itself is insulting too because it was clearly done to write Liz out by trying to have her at blame for having a toy next to the door and leaving the door open and having her back turned. Bullshit.

• Members

How is GH so much better than the other shows. Seems like their ratings have semi stablilized because they are just doing one big event after another, the bus crash, wedding, now this. And I read Franco is coming back again ugh. And seeing the demos they arent even getting the same return on their events they used to.

This will in no way touch the Labine stuff when BJ died. It amuses me how much Bob Guza has actually poked fun and criticized how depressing Labines GH was like his GH is a pile of roses. BJ's death was a powerful story, the characters involved were connected in interesting ways, the kids involved were actually a relatively active part of the canvas not rolled out as plots as needed. And the performances,even Kristina Wagner whos a pretty subpar actress, were all powerful. Brad Maule was amazing but then so was everyone.

Not one actor in this story even the allegedly great JJ can elevate this material.Steve Burton doesnt emote anymore, the overrated Becky Herbst has difficulty crying anyway, then there is JJ I suppose considering the 3 is the best out of all of them. But again no doubt the shock value will bring enough people in to watch to justify the storyline.

What a shock the entire promo is based on the character who spent the least amout of time with the kid but then Sonny and Jason are the focus of the show so I guess it makes sense that the promo is centered around as usual, one of those 2 characters.

And whoever said having GV's Lucky in this story would be better I agree. HE was the only one shown consistantly as the kids father.

The other thing IA with is getting rid of kids. Unless they actually contribute to story, get them the heck off the screen, send them to boarding school, kill them off, just get rid of them

• Members

I think RH did it because in some twisted way it was the only way that Frank and Jill could get back together (although that was undone when Frank lost his political career a few months later anyway).

The biggest problem in this is there is NO drama and NO consequence. Carly behaves like a spiteful child most of the time, even after her son was shot in the head and raped.

BJ's death changed all the characters involved.

If there will be now followup at least try some buildup. Instead, they've just had Liz doing stupid schemes for months, while Lucky has all but disowned his children because of the cipher Siobhan and because the show seems to agree with Luke that biology is all that matters. So who cares about their reactions now when they come out of the blue? If it's supposed to be about Jason, he has the same depressed-I-can't-take-a-dump reaction to everything anyway.

Why did this happen so suddenly? Did they have to have a stopgap because someone had them drop Brooklyn drug raping Dante and the Dante/Brenda crap?

• Members

Well, Jake's death will change Jason because after this walk of pain, it is obvious that he will agree to have a baby with Sam. This is actually huge since Guza has been determined to keep Jason and Sam as action man and biker babe. It shows that Guza has finally tired to writing the same story for them after so many years. He must finally see that SBu is aging in his tee shirts.

As for the decision to kill off Jake, it is a ratings stunt. With those ratings and budget cuts, Guza is now desperately going from stunt to stunt. Franco is returning so no doubt lots more stunts are on the horizon.

• Members

Word. To all that.

Although you could argue that Laura Cudahy's death on AMC warned viewers about the dangers of drunk driving, I don't believe any child's death on daytime has been motivated by anything other than the impact it could have characters and future storylines. Unfortunately, I think we've become cynical about these plot twists, b/c it always comes off as hollow in the face of rushed, shallow storytelling.

Archived