Soap Opera Feuds

• Replies 690
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The Lucci and SMG thing is still very interesting to me. It kind of disappoints me that they didn't get along cause they seemed like really nice people (even though i'm sure some of it is forced, with Lucci you can really tell, sorry to say.) I wander about the one comment that SMG made about Susan Lucci, in one of my 1993 SOD's. It was during that "why everyone loves?..." where the whole cast says one or more lines about why they "like" a certain co-star. SMG's said that during her audition she was very nervous and Susan told her to relax and take a deep breath, she also ended by saying "she's the best". but i guess the animosity they felt came later, unless that was the only nice thing SMG thought to say about her.

• Members

If you've read Finola Hughes' "fictional" book "Soapsuds" you can make your own inferences about the set, but based on everything else I've read, Susan got along with the bulk of her costars over the years and was pretty undemanding, despite her status as the "Queen" of daytime. I've read the unauthorized bio that was done on her in the mid-80s, and according to various people quoted in it, she once chewed out a supporting actor for not knowing his lines, and she once got mad and threw yogurt in the control room (which she discussed in her own memoir as well) but she was not demanding in terms of wanting perks or special treatment. Dorothy Lyman (Opal) was supposedly more difficult in contract negotiations than Susan was. The worst comments about her I could find in that particular book were she wasn't that good of an actress or that she seemed overly concerned about what her kids were doing vs. where her career was going. A lot of actors have said over the years that the atmosphere was very supportive and very friendly at AMC, but really, who knows?

• Members

I've heard rumors that SMG's mother was on-set a lot and was very demanding and difficult and that Susan didn't like her. IDK how true that is, but I seem to recall that as one of the explanations for any supposed "feud" between them. I've also heard that SMG, Eva LaRue, Sydney Penny and I think Kelly Ripa were part of a "mean girls" type clique on set and were rather catty. Susan seems close to Kelly, so I guess they didn't butt heads too badly. I'm willing to cut SMG some slack if she was a catty b*tch because she was young and probably fairly naive at the time. I recall hearing from various sources that SMG really let winning an Emmy go to her head, and that Susan didn't appreciate that, but IDK how accurate that is. Regardless, they've both been tight-lipped about it, so I doubt we'll ever hear what really happened.

Personally I felt at the time that the writers didn't really know what to do with Kendall once she brought her rapist father to town to torment Erica and then realized that he WAS a nasty pedophile when he attacked Bianca, and Kendall sort of floundered a bit as a character after that. It wouldn't be believable for Erica to bond with her after that, but Kendall wouldn't have just dropped her feud with Erica either. The lack of direction for her character might have fueled rumors as well that the actors weren't getting along and thus weren't interacting much in the story.

• Members

Yes, and Kelly even showed pictures of his new twins on air after they born sans Matt in the audiance. Whether they did or did not get along back in the early 90's seems moot at this point.

I do know Cady and Matt were very good friends, to the point that they felt akward about kissing each other onscreen.

• Members

At the risk of sounding like an apologist, I'd chew out someone, too, for not knowing his lines. Some actors don't realize how much time and money they eat up when they choose to be less than professional. If you've been hired to do a particular job, I'd say, then come to work everyday, prepared.

And heaven forbid someone such as Lucci show concern more for her family than her career. (Not a slam against you, ellabelle.)

I tend to think that as well. As sensational as the plot twist was (for some), it might've been a case of writing a character (in this case, Kendall) into a corner.

True. Then again, I wouldn't have expected SMG and "the Ripa" to be all Oprah-and-Gayle during that interview, know what I mean?

• Members

No slam implied or taken. :) That was really the worst that anyone had to say about her in that book, which I found interesting given that unauthorized bios tend to be more sensationalized with a focus on the negative or the salacious.

In 41+ years on the same show, you're bound to piss off someone at some point. That NO ONE has come forward in all this time and said horrible things about her amazes me. She's either massively careful and has covered her bases exceedingly well (which seems unlikely) or she really is a nice person who has managed to avoid scandal and controversy.

• Members

not necessarily a fued but am i correct that Pam Long and Kim Zimmer did not really get along in real life?? also about Zimmer, i remember reading a interview about how she tried coming back to GL after SB went off the air but Phelps didn't want her back! something about how Zimmer made it known she wanted to return but Phelps insisted there was no one on the canvas that Reva could interact with, which i was confused about cause Josh, Billy, Vanessa, Mindy, Dylan and H.B. were all there after SB was cancelled and Zimmer ultimatley gave up saying that she wasn't "gonna push being in a place where she wasnt wanted"!! i wonder if Phelps had some kind of hatred towards Zimmer??

• Members

Kim ZImmer said she and Pam Long had a lot of tension, perhaps because Pam loved the character so much. She said towards the end of her first run, when she went to lunch with Pam and CBS executives in an attempt to get her to stay, she and Pam were so unpleasant towards each other that the executive went to the restroom and threw up.

I don't think Phelps hated Kim Zimmer, she just felt Reva was a part of the past. I can see why she felt that way. Unfortunately for her, the show was so weak by 1995 that Zimmer came back whether she liked it or not.

I never felt like GL soared or crashed without Reva - I think Reva was the type of character who was a part of the community just as much as she was a big diva (it's too bad later writers did not see this). I am a little sad that Kim and Larry Gates never got to act together again.

Archived