• 1 month later...
  • Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Actually I recorded the video of Ann and Walter parting from a kinescope that I got from Susan Brown,  In the process the film broke several times and left a gap.  I'm sure that it what happened in the video with Buzz, his father and the guitar.  The technology for transferring kinescopes to digital that is available today is truly amazing as we can see from that recent episode

• 6 months later...
  • Members

Looks like Grodin came on Jan 65

Pittsburgh Press Tues Jan 5th 1965

SHORT SHOTS: Charles Grodln, of East Liberty, a graduate of Peabody High and the Pittsburgh Playhouse, was scheduled to make his debut as Matt Stevens in "The Young Marrieds" at 3:30 p. m. today on Channel4. Grodin, 29, graduated from Peabody in 1953. His mother, Mrs. Lena Grodln, says she "can't make heads nor tails of the series."

• Members
2038434890_3d2c0aa148_o.jpg

July 1965
San Francisco's own Susan Brown, talented young actress, has taken up witchcraft!
DAUGHTER IS A WITCH! By MILDRED SCHKOEDER
Mr. and Mrs. Earl Brown of St. Francis Wood have been inviting friends in this week "to meet our daughter the witch." And actress Susan Brown has made her two small nephews the heroes of their Walnut Creek neighborhood by also doing her broomstick bit across the Bay. Susan, who is certainly the prettiest witch on the West Coast, came flying up from Hollywood in her latest role as "Wanda-the-Witch" to introduce Procter and Gamble's new hair spray "Hidden Magic." The actress, a Hamlin's graduate who went on to USC. is a tall willowy brunette who insists, "I am a good witch bearing gifts.-' She has been stressing the "good" since her recent, visit to Salem, Mass., and a look at those pictures of the old Eport of witch-burning.
She is also a chic witch in a wide-brimmed high peaked black hat, black chiffon frock, black peau de soie cape that flashes a pink lining when she whirls in spell-casting. It isn't easy being a witch, confided the winner of the national search for a trademark for "Hidden Magic." You have to go to magic school so you can pull all kinds of tricks on demand out of that high hat, wield a wand convincingly, and, especially, not fall off your broomstick. Hers are custom made jobs with a fresh alfalfa fringe and so far Susan's only flights have been in front of the television cameras. She talked Procter and Gamble into letting her start her helpful witchery in her hometown where "Hidden Magic" faces its biggest challenge in controlling hair soaked by the fog and teased by the wind.
Susan's last professional appearance in San Francisco was a few years ago with Melvyn Douglas in the national touring company "Inherit the Wind." She also appeared in that Broadway production, several others, has an active television career. Now she is one of the principals in the day TV soap opera, "The Young Marrieds," where "I play a bitch instead of a witch." She discovered on this visit that her father, a local businessman, is a faithful viewer. "He sneaks over to the Olympic Club for the show, seen on Channel 7 at 3:30 p. m. Now some of his friends there are also hooked on it."

• Members

The Young Marrieds was set in Queens Point New York,  Yes, the palm trees were a bit unusual for a beach in NY.  I think what might have happened was since it was taped in LA, some of the sets and backgrounds they had might have been from other shows and just happened to use that particular one.  Many other people noticed this as well.  General Hospital has since referenced Queens Point many times in their show as being a suburb of Port Charles.  Some of the characters were said to live there.

• Members

I believe Port Charles, NY was first identified as the location of General Hospital by the head-writrer who preceded Douglas Marland.  So that would have been mid to late-1970s.  Coincidentally, I believe the same thing happened on The Doctors -- another soap opera with an undisclosed location until the mid-1970s, and again the head-writer who preceded Douglas Marland (on The Doctors) identified that city -- in this case Madison, in an undisclosed state.

Edited by Neil Johnson

• Members

On AW Bay City didn't have a state disclosed until the 1980s. Just as Agnes conceived of towns around a central city, Philadelphia, Irna conceived of the bedroom communities that surrounded Cincinnati, where P&G is headquartered. But they ended up clustered around Chicago.