Dior sacks Galliano!

Sylph

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

This has been fascinating to watch--Galliano is perhaps my fave of the current bigger name designers, and I have to say I'm pretty disappointed in him. At first I didn't believe it--the way he ALWAYS has talked about embracing different cultures, etc--but then I saw on Towleroad that video of him drunk (which now seems to have been taken down, hrmmm...).

What a mess. Bah.

• Members

You'd never expect a Mel Gibson to happen to him--well at least I would have never. The fashion industry have long memories--and of course it doesn't help that this happened in France with his involvement with Dior where anti semetism is (rightfully so IMHO) taken more seriously than in a lot of other places. Seriously if these people can't manage to keep their mouths closed when drunk maybe they should just drink at home...

• Members

He got exactly what he deserved. He might even be tried in court. I'm always shocked to read about things like this, it's difficult, make that – impossible to understand people who respect Hitler still exist. And say such heinous things.

To be perfectly honest, it was high time he left.

• Members

Natalie Portman, whose campaign for Dior's 'Miss Dior Cherie' fragrance just came out, condemned the designer, calling his anti-Semitic remarks "disgusting":

“I am deeply shocked and disgusted by the video of John Galliano’s comments that surfaced today. In light of this video, and as an individual who is proud to be Jewish, I will not be associated with Mr. Galliano in any way. I hope at the very least, these terrible comments remind us to reflect and act upon combating these still-existing prejudices that are the opposite of all that is beautiful.”

• Members

Dior as a brand can recover if it goes a radical new direction with its next designer. But the eponymous "John Galliano" line is kaput.

And everything he said was horrid, offensive, a complete affront to anybody who experienced that war (like my grandparents). I have to wonder what is truly going on in that head of his. Spookily, it is about a year since Alexander McQueen tried to overdose on coke and pills and then hanged himself. I'm wondering if Galliano has similar addiction problems and personal demons. Well, he clearly suffers from the latter.

Archived