OLTL: Character SORASed

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Just to rub it in after the Kish purge debacle, I'd make Jack bi if it was up to me. But you would probably have to age the character up anyway to do that. It was an edgy enough idea in 1992 when Chris McKenna's Joey was to be a gay teen who looked like a young teen. Today it's almost unthinkable, at least on daytime.

• Members

That would be a good story -- it could also be used to bring CJ back. They're cousins and CJ would be a con artist and probably fairly sexually ambiguous, and Jack would then look at his life and start to go along with his own instincts, in bisexuality, in conning people and using what he can to get by in life.

(I'm not saying this would be Jammy or whatever, just that their lives would contrast and Todd could blame CJ, this might bring Tina back, etc.)

Or they could involve Rex, as back in the day Rex was pretty obviously screwing anyone.

• Members

I would actually bring C.J. back as a pretty straight arrow - so to speak - as a gay Navy SEAL who had worked with Brody overseas. He is now of course reveling in the repeal of DADT. Perhaps he would join the force. But he, along with Larry's very wayward grandson, would end up initially being romantic spoilers for Kish-on-recurring (or on short-term contracts) in a storyline involving their new family - the younger Wolek being a wild child who attracts Kyle, while C.J. is a law and order contemporary of Oliver's. Inevitably, Kyle and Oliver would reunite stronger than ever and probably remain on recurring, leaving the two new young gay men on contract with their own storyline.

By contrast, two or three years down the road from now Jack would be in the teen tier; you'd just happen to have a bisexual teen who has little to do with the older gay characters. He would be caught up with Shane and Jamie Vega. Both boys would be into Jamie, and Jamie would be a more scheming type than straight-laced Shane, leaving him at a disadvantage vs. Jack - but Jack would also have a crush on some other boy. I figure Jack would have to be unrepentantly out, which is something I don't think anyone has done with a teenager in that age range, at least not on American television. You could always have him inadvertently sent to an "ex-gay camp" and tear the place apart, in order to work out my own personal rage against anti-gay gulags like "Love In Action." I imagine Todd would have a conniption about Jack's sexuality and Jack would just blow him off. Who knows, maybe they'll hire some Chandler Massey type to play NuJack and this will all work out.

• Members

Last I heard, Antonio was on international assignment with the feds, hunting Carlo Hesser. Which left R.J., Carlotta and possibly Rachel in charge of Jamie. This may have changed - I seem to recall a recent mention of Antonio.

Were it up to me, Jamie would be raised by R.J., Carlotta and Rachel while Antonio and the feds continued this quixotic pursuit. You could well bring KDLR in later as a guest star to cap some of that stuff off - the Carlo story has not been properly resolved, IMO, and involves more people than Antonio.

As per Jack or Will Roberts or anyone else, there's something inherently incendiary about showing a young teenager, male or female, as gay on TV, but it's happening all the time today IRL. I remember reading a political blog recently and seeing a video of some out gay kid who could not have been more than 14 or 15 speaking very eloquently about the anti-gay policy in place at his school. I couldn't imagine a kid that age doing that when I was in HS (not that long ago!), it was jolting to me, but it's the arc of our times and I think a soap that reflected that would be on the cutting edge.

Archived