• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Not at all is it stupid. It's not a retcon. Firstly, listen to the music; it's communicating tension. Second, as you said, it was a decade ago. The emotions have subsided. If she came back and Victor was an ass and dismissive or threw her out that would have been impulsive even for him. Had this been a 6 weeks after she tried to kill him and Nikki? Then, yes, that wouldn't make sense. There is a guy who fucked me and my fiance over 5 years ago (framed  him of a crime and he went to jail for it but was exonerated but we went homeless as a result). Had I ran into him even a few months after the fact? I would have killed him. 5 years later? Well, no; I haven't forgave him but my emotions have subsided. I would be cautious. Civil, but on alert.

• Members

The Reporter Fond du Lac Wisconsin March 30 1988

'Young, Restless' alive, thriving at 15 " By JERRY BUCK AP Television Writer 

Soap opera mogul Bill Bell had a producer on the phone, was doing running commentary on the action on two TV monitors, and was adroitly fielding questions on the 15th anniversary of "The Young and the Restless." Bell looked deceptively calm in the eye of the storm, but it was Bell generating the hurricane whirling about his penthouse office atop CBS' Television City. He is the executive producer, head writer and co-creator, with his wife, Lee Phillip Bell, of "The Young and the Restless" and "The Bold and the Beautiful. At 15, "Y&R " as he usually calls it, is running neck and neck in the Nielsen ratings with ABC's "General Hospital as the most popular daytime show. "The Bold and the Beautiful," which just passed its  first anniversary, was in ninth place in the ra tings.

I think we brought a new approach to daytime programming because we featured young people Bell said of Y&R . "Its a very contemporary show and we make good use of music and closeups in ways that hadn't been  used before. Our stories are provocative.

I won't say sensual because that would give the wrong impression, but sometimes they are." Bell said he is in good shape to weather the strike of the Writers Guild of America, provided it's settled soon. He has scripts for six weeks of "The Young and the Restless" and five weeks of "The Bold and the Beautiful." In addition, he has several weeks of shows already taped. They are taped far in advance to get them overseas. As he talked to his visitor, Bell relayed instructions to producers on the sets and commented on the taping and the actors on the screen. Bell watched a young actor on the monitor for "The Bold and the Beautiful." The actor was Ethan Wayne, the son of late film legend John Wayne.

"Can you think of a better place for a young actor to train? ,Bell asked. "They get new material every day, filled with conflicts and romance, and they get stretched every way possible." Later, daughter Lauralee Bell came on the screen. She plays Cricket on "Y&R." One son, Bradley, is a script writer, and another, Bill, runs business affairs for "The Bold and the Beautiful."

Bell, a former Chicago advertising executive and writer for other daytime serials, was lured away from his job as head writer of NBC's "Days of Our Lives" to create a new show for CBS. "Fred Silverman was the head of CBS programming then and he paid me more to quit 'Days of Our Lives' than I was getting paid to do it," he said. "Lee had her own show in Chicago and I went back to Chicago.

There we were staring at a blank sheet of paper. We did 70 pages, which took the story through the first two years." Soap operas are difficult to establish because viewers are reluctant to break their viewing habits. Bell had hoped that "The Young and the Restless" would make a breakthrough, but when the ratings failed to climb he grew impatient and asked CBS to take it off the air. "It wasn't doing as well as I thought it should, he said. "But Fred Silverman showed me ratings figures that convinced me to stay with it.

It took the show a year and a half to get established. "When you have a long-running show the audience grows older with the show," said Bell. '"The Young and the Restless' was the first show to turn that around and attract a young audience for CBS.