Y&R: Old Articles

• Members

Oddly, I think Alden did a lot of repair of the Nina character after the whole Ryan situation.. and actually turned Tricia into a fascinating psycho that you couldn't help.. but feel sorry for.   

However, she lost points with the whole Diane/Ashley/Nikki sperm storyline.... Alden's hard on for Victor was obvious.. and it caused damage to the show in terms of focus that it has never recovered from (she started the focus going away from Jill..imho)

• Replies 13.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

The scene is fun, but the head smacks against the desk just take it into cheese puff territory. The Lauren and Sheila catfight was an example of how to get it right. 

The sperm story was a huge mistake and tarnished the show.

Edited by DRW50

• Members

I have recently found a huge stash of soap magazines from the 1960s and '70s, and I want to see if I can scan articles from them onto my hard drive and then upload the vintage material to SON threads.

I am making a test in this post, using a vintage Y&R photograph which was already saved to my laptop.

(No disrespect to @PaulRaven who just posted this same image a few pages back, but this version does not have the watermark in front of the actors, so I though no one would mind if I reposted a cleaner copy.)

I hope this works.

Please register in order to view this content

Edited by vetsoapfan

• Members

I wish some more 2004 would pop up. I used to have it on VHS but the videos disappeared during a move! I also used to have a ton of 2003, including all of when Jill learned Katherine was her mother and when Ashley got in the car wreck. Y&R went on location a few times that year. Remember Jess Walton running to stop Billy and Mac from having sex? Sad all of the story momentum from that period would end in a few short years.

• Members

I have been watching and enjoying some of his videos from around that time frame. I saw he uploaded some more from the late 90's early 2000s.

I like this clip with Ashley/Mamie/Jill, when Ashley is trying to figure out how to save Jabot financially. And Maime who has been doing well financially offers to help. Lol at Mamie/Jill.

Also, this one with Olivia, Alex and Phyllis from the early 2000's:

(I apologize if these clips have already been posted. This thread is so long, I'm not sure if they have been lol. But these videos from this particular user have just been uploaded within the past few days ) 

And Phyllis meeting Billy, Jill and Mac for the first time (2000)

• Members

Y&R was on fire during this era! 

The clip and a few episodes recently posted really go back to the previous discussion of how separated the characters are on the show. Phyllis who'd been in town since '94 apparently meets Jill for the first time in 2000. Likewise during the Kay/Jill attic fight episode, I believe Victor learns Michael sexually harassed Christine a whole five years after the fact. Even in a 2005 episode uploaded, Michael was just finding out about Lauren & Sheila even though he was in town during major portions of those story lines. The separation element was cool and unique though. 

Edited by ironlion

• Members

Yet the weird thing is that in this 1992 episode, they said  Michael and Jack were old friends , yet they never interacted again after this episode (to my knowledge) and I think they acted like Jack didn't know him in 1998 when he represented Diane....Michael had been on a little over a month at this point and Jack hired him to fight against Victor's custody suit of the children because Nikki wouldn't get help from her drinking.

• Members

I also loved that aspect of Y&R.  It was part of the identity of the show.

It made it seem like it wasn’t a small town, unlike every other soap on the air.

And that is not a knock on those shows.  GH works best for me when the character connections are close, and there is a main umbrella plot going on.  Guiding Light worked best as a community that crosses paths.  All My Children worked best as a gossipy small town.  But Y&R works best for me as a place where not everybody interacts with Victor Newman or Katherine Chancellor. 

• Members

I have a question that may seem dumb or silly. I was curious if Katherine was supposed to be as wealthy as Victor? I know the character originally came to GC to run Chancellor for her, which suggests to me that his company was formed after Chancellor already existed. Jack once said Chancellor was the one company that could take on Newman; however, I always had the feeling Victor was supposed to be the richest character on the show.